1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

work through Easter holidays

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by asalmons88, Mar 19, 2020.

1. asalmons88

asalmons88 New commenter

Hello,

I work in a secondary school, which is part of a trust. We’ve been told effectively that the Easter holidays are cancelled and school will remain open. Any idea whether this is allowed? Had a look in my contract and it doesn’t give any guidance. Surely we are entitled to leave?

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks
    BM

FormosaRed likes this.
  2. Jeroniymo

Jeroniymo New commenter

Is this just for keyworker and vulnerable children? If so I'd volunteer ... but they cant make you,

3. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Something similar. The school is closing and moving to remote learning. We are expected it seems to do remote learning now all through the holidays , so holidays effectively cancelled.

Not sure it is legal but thats what the school is now doing. No doubt all the parents and other loud mouthed media critics of teachers will say it is only right we do this - but I have some difficulty since I have examination classes only and now we have no exams.... watch the space.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Maybe your internet will have problems most days during the holidays?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The emergency legislation will make anything legal if the government determines that it's necessary; equally it'll be able to forbid anything if that's required. It is worth looking at the 1939 Emergency Powers Act to show what can be done.

6. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

No idea. Would like to know too. Even though we're all stuck in the house self isolating I'd quite like to have some downtime with my kids when we're not all working.

7. music1421

music1421 New commenter

Apparently my school is setting up a rota system for teachers to come in for the key workers' children etc.
    However, I am only part time, plus have no childcare for my own children, so how will this work for me? Also, am currently family self-isolating for 14 days, so should really be tested before coming back into school?

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You are a key worker. Your children should stay in school when out of quarantine.

9. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

I think a big dose of common sense is going to be needed. This situation is unprecedented and it may take time to sort out so some policy making on the hoof is taking place. Hopefully this will settle down.
    Rota systems seem like the best idea, also staff without children may have to take on a bit more since they don't have the responsibilities at home. I am sure that all good HT's will try to work out best options for all. You should only be doing on line classes during school hours.
    Also having schools open increases risk of teachers becoming ill so some teachers will not be able to come in at all.
    Regarding year 11 - why not start them on their A'level work early?

10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

Yes but is their partner a key worker? Remember that some children of key workers may still have one parent at home, and the more children at school the higher the risk to parents.

j_87, BetterNow, KLS749 and 1 other person like this.
  11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If the partner is not a key worker, there wouldn't be an issue with childcare.

12. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

What about staff who are paid pro-rata (admin and TAs) - will we be paid?

13. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

We hope you have contacted your Union over this matter. You may not receive a quick answer.

If you have to do extra work you should be paid. At the well known Heinz factory just across border from me staff were paid double time to work on Saturday/Sundays to get the beans into the supermarkets.

A large number of teachers will be now be having British holidays this Easter if they decide to leave the house.

I am expecting a large number of HT's, and SMT's to volunteer to take these classes,but I have just seen some flying pigs.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I doubt students will work remotely over the holidays. Will be hard enough to try and get them to work remotely when they are supposed to be in school!

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well normally teachers get 13 weeks (on average) technical weeks away from the chalkface (I'm deliberately not calling it holidays as we all know some of that is exhaustion recuperation and planning and preparation time) , whereas the 'average' job has between 4 and 6 weeks holiday, so I doubt it's illegal.

16. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Not everyone is able to work from home. My ex isn't, for example. Schools will not be delivering formal lessons for key worker children (at least, none of the ones which I know - about 10 - in my area plan to), so essentially I'm being asked to farm out my kids to childcare so that I can be childcare for other people's. It seems daft.

17. Tangem

Tangem New commenter

My school has said we all have to go into school on Monday, I have my own children to look after, can they force us, I would rather be at home with my son.

tall tales, KLS749 and FriarLawrence like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I reckon some schools are jumping the gun with assumptions about the Easter holidays that aren't justified by what the DfE has said so far. We need to wait for more details from government.

The official DfE announcement yesterday evening only said this about Easter holidays

"Where possible, we would encourage settings to also look after key workers’ children and vulnerable children throughout the Easter holidays."
    "Where possible" and "we encourage" don't sound to me like an instruction that schools must open or that teachers must work over Easter. We shall see what happens.

As the law currently stands teachers (if on STPCD) cannot be forced to work over Easter. Only invited to volunteer. But emergency regulations could be made law to change that temporarily.

19. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

No-one can be forced (at present) due to 195 day contracts (academies could be different of course).
    HOWEVER, are we really going to refuse to do this?
    I expect it will be paid.... Medics are being paid OT. But the detail isn't there yet.
    I can tell you that all NHS leave is cancelled.
    Without considering such provision, we risk society collapsing right at the point the peak of the virus will hit. Many supply teachers will be worried about income next term. They may be willing to do child-care days during this time.
    I know that I am, if it keeps NHS staff being able to work and food in the shops.

And bear in mind, those on contracts will get paid sick leave at occupational rates, and paid leave for directed self-isolation.
    In many ways, we are lucky.

It's not like you can go out and about during your Easter holiday...

20. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

My school is also needing staff to come in over Easter but I'm hoping a rota system will be in place. My school is independent so probably could request this more 'legally' than a state school. I'm not too bothered as not like we can go away or do much anyway over the break.

agathamorse likes this.