1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work this term

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by roseangel, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I have already been offered 5.5 days work for this term and this is the first day the children are back. Can't be bad. (One day I can't do though.)

2. I have already been offered 5.5 days work for this term and this is the first day the children are back. Can't be bad. (One day I can't do though.)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Let's hope it's the start of things to come.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have found that in previous years there has been a lot more work from now until the end of the School Year in July. Although it starts to tail off once year 11 leave in June.
    Lets hope this year is no different.

5. I too have noticed that there are more absences this term, from past experience. It's probably the most stressful term from a teachers point of view, especially if you are in secondary and trying to get year 11 up to scratch with coursework, etc, and prepare them for the big wide world as best you can.
    Hope we all get a decent amount of work soon!

6. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I'm booked for 2 whole weeks from next Monday.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Tomorrow morning I report to the school where I was covering for seven weeks up to Xmas to see if the teacher I replaced has decided to return to work or not. If they have, it's home again to wait by the phone.

It's a strange mixed up morality we live by isn't it? I know this teacher from a previous job in the same department so I don't wish any ill on them, but I have to be honest and say the work would come in handy.

8. Absolutely nothing??? Hopeless! Secondary fully qualified, registered and experienced!
    Why should I compete with the unqualified? The whole system is morally corrupt.

9. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Good luck! That's what happened to me this week, although I had been booked for the next few weeks...the teacher on sick leave just turned up without a word to anyone!
    I wouldn't have bothered doing all the planning and getting the classroom ready before xmas if I had known though! He just sniggered and said cheers for the planning that he had already found in the desk and then started to put out all the work and activities that I had prepared! I'm not too bothered as they have given me a glowing reference and because they felt so bad agreed to pay me one day for the inconvenience! [​IMG]
    Back to waiting by the phone!

10. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Same here Pedigree .It seems the education system is to forget the qualification & experience just get anyone who has a pulse in front of a class & think of the money we are saving!!

11. I'm primary in the North West.
    I only had 7.4 days last term and NOTHING so far this term.
    I have applied for a part-time maternity cover but I' not too hopeful as I'm old and expensive.
    I'm beginning to think supply is finished.
    Billji

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've never heard of that before. Why haven't they contacted the teacher to find out what is happening?
    You could miss out on work elsewhere if the teacher turns up and you'll have forked out for transport with no pay.

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

It might be that the decision to return is based on the outcome of a Doctor's note and that the note can only be completed the week prior to the return, not before the Christmas Hols. Therefore the school will only know if the teacher is returning to work on the first day of term, bear in mind a Bank Holiday preceeded many term return dates.
    I had something similar happen to me a few years ago, I was covering a sick leave before Christmas but the school had no way of knowing if I was required at the start of the January. However at least they had the decency to book me for a couple of days anyway for general cover and didn't expect me to turn up unpaid. (I ended up staying there until July in the good old days before AWR messed things up).

14. Ahhh, a particular joy of supply I had forgotten about..... being ******** about by a am-I-sick member of staff. Usually the worst culprits are maternity leave returners..... They need to have a number of "lives" which they lose for cocking around.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fair point, although on this occasion the journey was only ten minutes, and the end result was more work for at least a term, with the AWR kicking in before the end of Feb, so it was worth all the messing about. It's not like anyone else was queueing up to hire me this week.

16. Lara mfl 05

So cause for celebration magicsurfbus?
    [​IMG]

17. Nada, nowt, zip, zilch, zero.
    The little work-week runaround car's MOT is up start of Feb - it's not economically worth paying out to run a car on the hope of me getting the odd day of supply based on how this year's gone so we're now giving serious thought to just scrapping it and throwing in the towel earlier than I'd like (I wanted to work much later in the pregnancy but let's face it they're punishing me for refusing to work for free for PR for them).
    Have already withdrawn from one agency as it's pointless paying for a CRB for no work for a few more months.

18. Apart from two HOURS, I have had no works since last April, and this is for science in London. I have signed up with another agency, on the off-chance. If only i could get my pension sorted out, things would not be so bad. I cannot remember ever being told that ARP was only available to teachers with continuous service.[​IMG]. The ajourned tribunal is now set for March: whatever the outcome, my previous school will have got away with witholding my redundancy pay for over a year.

19. Lara mfl 05

That explains why I will now have to wait so long past 60 for mine!

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Where did you get thta information? I was hoping to get an Actuarially reduced pension this year, once I've checked that they have recorded my sporadic LA paid supply teaching properly.