1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WORK SMART NOT HARD ADVICE

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by 6avin, Nov 27, 2016.

1. 6avin

6avin New commenter

Hi all I just finished reading the article

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ork-long-hours-says-former-government-adviser

Andrew Carter has said teachers don't need to work long hours and out of school hours. Personally for me I find this difficult, it's a done thing in my school for al teachers to work eleven hours day and continue to work at home.

It would be great here if we could create a thread of tips, advice and words of wisdom from your experience on how to work smart not hard. Hopefully together we can create a bank of ideas on how to save time and make more effective use of in school hours.

Please contribute with what you can!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

my advice to save time would be don't waste it listening to some ignoramus from a different planet driveling on about working smarter not harder

3. 6avin

6avin New commenter

To get the ball rolling I think what I have found useful is to always carry marking pens and highlighters in the class.
    Mark the books of the group you are working with once you know they understand. Also when walking around mark as many books as possible, this ensures that possibly one third of the books are marked before the lesson finishes.

Year 4 teacher

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its helpful to your students to get immediate feedback, but this policy can just lead to an increase in workload, depending on the schools marking policy. Nothing done in lessons will fulfill the tick sheet and questionnaire thing that has to be stuck in to each book every week in my school,and marking in class just takes your time away from teaching in class, and adds to what you need to do outside of class, without in any way diminishing the time required to do tick sheets and questionnaires later. Moral, don't do anything helpful to your students, you don't have the time.

5. 6avin

6avin New commenter

Hahaa I do agree however I would like to hear some ideas about time spent in school. Thanks

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sorry, don't mean to be so negative, can't think what has left me so bitter and twisted, o yes, it was dedicating decades of my life to try and benefit children whilst being hampered and brow beaten at every step by ofsted and SMT, that was it.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The basics of a school where teachers are not overwhelmed are:

Clear curriculum planning so there is certainty about the subject status and how it is being delivered.
    Adequate staffing so there is expertise that can be shared in Departments
    Clear subject planning - clarity about the exam structure and expectations
    Clear collaborative medium term planning so each term has a structure and different people contribute to the whole
    Shared lesson plans and ideas to save constant re-invention
    A sensible marking policy that is not based on the "customer feedback" model.

If anybody finds all the above in a school let me know as I want to work there!
    Unfortunately a number of these elements require national clarity and direction which is sadly lacking

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Have designated hours for all tasks. For example, reading of emails. I don't see what is wrong with setting email hours on your signature else you are 'on call' always.

I recall Year 11 exams being on the last three days before Xmas and the results had to be entered on the second day back. You therefore were being mandated to mark them over the Xmas holiday. The marking should be quantified and SLT be tasked with explaining how a teacher is expected to balance the workload in their regular week.

9. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Accidentally leave your laptop at school!

10. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am finding that my TA's help, the school marking policy (mainly verbal feedback and stamps) and policy of one day per term to plan for the next term (on top of PPA time) and supportive and productive PPA time is helping me stay on top of my workload.