1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work scrutiny

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ChrisiPanteli, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ChrisiPanteli

ChrisiPanteli New commenter

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I need to create a document to help coordinators grade a work scrutiny in the Foundation Stage e.g. good or outstanding. Does anyone know if there is a grid somewhere for this. Thanks

2. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

How can anyone do a work scrutiny in eyfs? What are they looking at? Even when they are writing more at the end of the year I’m not sure what the real point of this would be.

Pomz, CarrieV and Tinycat1234 like this.
  3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

A Work scrutiny in the EYFS? Presumably this has been invented by somebody who has no idea about the EYFS...

Pomz and lucylollipop like this.
  4. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras New commenter

Do you mean like moderation?

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

It would be better to look at pupil achievement and progress.

Pomz likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

I'd like to think that contentment/happiness and wellbeing were the most important indicators at EY. But what would i know?

lucylollipop likes this.
  7. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

And why are you grading it?

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  8. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

Whilst I appreciate the OP posted on here with good intentions, I have to agree with the responses.
    The more I read on these forums, the more I think the world of education has gone mad! No wonder so many teachers are feeling stressed. This endless measuring to prove you are effective is ridiculous. The pig doesn’t get any fatter just because you keep weighing it.

9. a.teacher

a.teacher New commenter

I would just use the Ofsted handbook for EYs,

10. Tinycat1234

Which has nothing about grading Work!!!
    I don’t think grading work adheres to the principles of the EYFS whatsoever. Looking at progress from the children’s baselines and moderating it does. Ensuring a broad and balanced curriculum does. Looking at the children and their engagement and interactions does. Looking at the quality of the environment does. However by inferring that anyone who wants to grade Work in the EYFS actually has probably no experience of the EYFS I doubt they would have the skills to look at the above. Depressing indeed.
    I agree about the world of education is seemingly mad sometimes.

11. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Mad? Indeed! My nursery children now have Literacy and Numeracy workbooks which must have a focus activity in each week and I must use the school's marking and presentation policies!!!

12. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

PS Am now looking for another job!

13. Tinycat1234

How utterly depressing... Pretty sure that head has zilch actual EYFS experience.

14. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Ludicrous.

alexanderosman and lucylollipop like this.