1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work prospects after early release from contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bostonbill1982, Oct 7, 2015.

1. bostonbill1982

bostonbill1982 New commenter

Just a query about the chances of finding work after an early release from my contract.
    I recently had a disciplinary hearing about two very minor issues, they were put together and presented as 'Gross Misconduct'. My union helped me with the case, they were very supportive. As I was intending to resign at Christmas anyway I was not overly worried about the outcome,just wanted to put my point of view. The hearing was civil as can be expected and my union officer pointed out that the errors I made were due to gross over work and having to do jobs I wasn't trained for. The union officer spoke privately to the school director and next day he rang and said I would be allowed an early release from my contract with a reference allowing me to teach in the future.
    I received a reference saying I had resigned and had been a valued member of staff. I was also given an extra month's wage.
    I am perfectly happy as I just wanted to get away. I don't really want to teach again (ever) but I will need to work to supplement my very small teaching pension (different story).
    Will this affect my chances of future employment?
    Does an early release count as a disciplinary sanction? If asked, do I say I received a sanction?
    I have had a lot of inquiries from teaching agencies who saw my CV on a job site and I may have to do some supply until a non teaching job comes along, anyone been in a similar situation or know the answer to my questions.
    Many thanks for reading.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you have been released early, and that date has been put down as your leaving date, rather than the 31st December, you could be asked why you have left early.

If the leaving date is the 31st December then you put that on any application.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Early release is not a disciplinary sanction.

Were the allegations child protection related in any way?

Is what happened that the school (academy?) started formal disciplinary proceedings but withdrew them before the conclusion of the disciplinary process without making any Misconduct/Gross Misconduct finding? If so then no disciplinary sanction has been imposed on you.

Be aware though that some job applications/reference requests ask if any disciplinary allegations have ever been made against the applicant. You would have to answer yes to that, although that wouldn't automatically stop you getting employment.

4. bostonbill1982

Thanks for the reply.
    I actually left on 30th Sept, which is the date that is on my reference.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

In which case you will have to ensure you establish a 'narrative' which explains why you left - this has to be angled not to put off any potential employers, but also honest enough not to get you into trouble later.

Difficult to give advice, but examples I have seen/heard of include leaving for family reasons, to avoid a long commute, to go travelling etc.

bostonbill1982 likes this.
  6. bostonbill1982

Hi
    Thank you for the reply. The action was nothing to do with Child Protection.
    Would it be okay to PM you? If I put the whole story on here I am very easy to identify.
    I did mention the incident in an agency interview (industrial). The interviewer fell about laughing,
    he could not believe any one would be disciplined for it!

7. bostonbill1982

Thank you,
    I will think up of a few plausible ones.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sure, no problem

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I once had to mention a disciplinary incident for a later teaching post. The new headteacher did the exact same thing!