1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

work possibilities pre English GCSE exams this summer

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tonymars, Apr 23, 2018.

1. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

I've been doing some supply work since February this year, although as I expected this is now tailing off.

For one reason or another it has just occurred to me that this is actually peak time for any sort of tutoring, intervention, revision - whatever it's called- with a view to maximising the potential of individual or small groups of students to achieve well in their English and and/or literature exams this summer, especially as these exams are harder that they used to be.

The problem, is I have no idea how to go about looking for work up to these exams. Should I contact supply agencies, tuition colleges, tutoring agencies, contact schools or boroughs direct, or place an advert in newsagents' windows?

Any advice would be very welcome.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Join some of the well known tuition sites. I would think though that anyone looking to do well in this year's exams will have a tutor by now. Do you mean year 11? Personally, I won't take on y11 this late in the year, it's a bit late and I am not a magician. Or do you mean in schools?

3. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Thanks for the reply langteacher. Yes I mean Year 11.

No I am not a magician either, but I have worked for many years teaching English in a 'tough' secondary school. Of course in the short time left before exams I can not do miracles, but I have a very good understanding of what the exams require, how to teach these skills, that children who are in an environment completely free of any disruption can actually learn very well and very quickly, and that there are many parents out there, in London, who are ambitious for their children and able and willing to pay something to improve their offspring's chances of doing well at GCSE level.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I worked in a similar school for many years so I know what you mean but I still think it is a bit late, the english lit exam is 22 May so that does not leave you much time to advertise, the others are a week or two later.

I would say target your market at year ten