1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work phone/work email

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gmailcom, Jul 16, 2019.

1. gmailcom

gmailcom New commenter

Hi,

I recently bought a cheap phone (Tesco, £10) and set up a second gmail account, both for work purposes.

I can now give out a phone number and "home" email to colleagues and employers and thus seem helpfuland friendly. But as neither are my primary email or phone, I can control totally how/when people can access me via them!

DO IT - it feels great to be able to properly switch off.

2. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Nice idea, but I assume you have 'bought' a phone for £10 per month, over 24 months, and you will still have to spend over a fiver a month after that (assuming you remember to cancel the original contract).

That's quite a price to seem helpful and friendly.

I don't give my mobile phone number, full stop, don't care what people think. And I have no problem ignoring work email. I can 'mute' that if I feel like it anyway.

I'm astounded that some colleagues join each other in work WhatsApp groups and I'm yet to understand the point of Twitter.

3. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

You can get a pay as you go phone with a SIM for £15. That's it. £15.

phlogiston and jlishman2158 like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Presumably your school allows you to use a private gmail account for work emails. Many will not because of data protection law/GDPR and insist on a school account being used.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    border_walker and TCSC47 like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Indeed. I have a PAYG phone, and spend £10-15 a year. I did spend rather more on the phone itself, but you don't have to have running costs.
    In fact, if you ask around, you could probably find someone with an old phone lying unused, and the PAYG SIM is free. If you only want to be able to receive calls and texts, that would do. There's no need to give anyone from school a home email address - you have a school one.
    I work from home, and we do have to be contactable by phone; some colleagues have gone the route of having a separate phone that gets turned off when not working.

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

They really should not be using your home phone and email for anything other than emergencies. Such as "we are shut today because the boiler has packed up". School email for anything else, and it is up to you if and when you want to check it outside school hours.

border_walker and TCSC47 like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have never given out a home email or mobile number to colleagues...and I don't think they think of me as particularly unhelpful or unfriendly.

I have blocked a couple of colleagues who misused the emergency telephone ladder to contact me on my mobile.
    I have never had my work emails coming to my phone.

That's it.
    Done.
    I'm in control and it didn't cost me £15!

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  9. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Some schools have got really naughty with their emailing systems. I advise everyone to have a good work life balance and 'switch off' after the working day. Do not ever fall into the trap of reading and responding to work emails late at night.

Good schools have clear emailing policies in place though. Eg Outside of working hours only email in an emergency or for a snow line.

10. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I don't really understand why your colleagues would need a home email/phone number. My employer has my phone number on file in case of emergency (and has never used it). I don't have work email on my phone (and school policy is no emails outside the hours of 8 am to 6 pm anyway, which is quite strictly enforced).

11. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Sounds a bit silly. Nobody but a few friends I might meet out of work get my number and I never check emails when not there. As soon as I step out of school me and it don't exist to each other and that is how I like it.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

It shouldn't be a problem, but it obviously is, in some schools and for some colleagues.

The best way to solve it? Whatever works for you.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

[​IMG]

14. gmailcom

gmailcom New commenter

I've always worked with people who give me their contact details unprompted - this was a multi-year group primary school where we shared out the planning, taught each other's plans and made and shared resources.

Also we didn't all take our work laptops home and therefore couldnt access work email!

Happygopolitely likes this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you mean nobody is allowed to send them during that time? That seems rather interfering to me. The good thing about emails is that they can be sent at a time which suits the sender and read at a time which suits the reader. As long as no response is expected outside normal working hours, I can't see a problem with emails being sent at 1am if that is what somebody wants to do. I stand by my view that they should go to work email accounts, so that nobody finds themself seeing them when checking their personal emails.

16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Apologies. Not really to do with the topic but this reminded me of our work e-mails 20 or so years ago. Working for an FE college, the Chief Executive (I know, but that is what he called himself) decided that our works e-mails should be published so that students could contact us and vice versa. Ok I suppose, it's the modern world after all. However, I think what must have happened was that one of the students sold the address list onto some scamming company or other because we almost immediately started to get all sorts of emails for ****** and other personal appendage enhancements and investment opportunities in Nigeria.

A lot of water under the bridge since and I think we just put up with it nowadays but it was quite funny then. We also have better junk identification as well.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lol Talk about junk and scam identification we can't even say V-iagra here.

18. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

I don't agree. The issue is when it comes to ranking. You can bet your purse strings someone of lower rank will feel obliged to respond to a late night email. Also what happens if you get a regular culprit who emails out at 2am every day? Its a dream for a potential bully.

Far better for all to be equal and to restrict work emails. Why can't people who wish to send last minute emails just organise their time properly? Maybe even save them as 'drafts' if they are dying to do some work or have such a bad home life that they need to.keep themselves busy? Far better to support well being and mental health by insisting that people enjoy their home life , personal space and families more.

There is imho nothing worse than someone sending emails outside of working hours. And then the ultimate line when a task is not done by Monday at 10am: 'But I did send the email request 3 days past on Friday night!'

19. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

I completely agree with @Piranha emails should be sent when convenient to the sender and responded to when convenient for the recipient. The last thing I want is a deluge of emails at 8am in the morning due to colleagues using scheduled send - personally I normally have emails dealt with by 7.30am, because I prefer to start early rather than finish late.

However an essential school policy should be that email is NOT instant messaging and that at least three or five working days should be allowed for a response. If that does not exist a simple auto-response that says "Thank you for you message, I will respond within 5 working days, if you need a more urgent response please talk to me directly" makes the point.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not if the school policy is that nobody has to check or respond to emails outside normal working hours. If you don't want to check your emails, then don't. It does need to be a policy understood by all, though. And the sort of person who would send an email at 2am and expect a quick response is also the sort of person who would send it at 8am and expect a reply by 10am. I did once see one when I returned from the lesson just before lunch, and got another stroppy one half way through lunchtime when I had not replied. I let the person concerned know my views on the matter; it did not happen again.

I suspect that everybody else can think of a lot worse things - read other threads on this forum for evidence. I rarely knew about emails sent outside school hours, however junior I was, because I didn't usually log into my work email account at home. Just occasionally, it suited me to do so, but I still felt free to ignore ones I didn't want to deal with at the time.

@GeordieKC I totally agree with you.

ATfan likes this.