1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work over Easter

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This took an interesting turn. The STPCD and its vague do as much as needed is a total pain and used against us too often.

I would argue the whole 40 hours a week as being reasonable too; I think a 35 hour week is more than sufficient. 8 hours a day was simply an arbitary figure that came about as a result of campaigning by Robert Owen to have people work no more than 8 hours per day. His slogan was “Eight hours labour, eight hours recreation, eight hours rest.” We now know we can be happier and more productive working fewer hours.

The reality is we need more prep time in the school day. We all need to be allowed a life and shouldn't be expected to give our lives to a job. We need to not feel guilty or be made to feel guilty for not working in the holidays.

As for other careers, I feel strongly it is time for massive changes across the board. It is ridiculous in the 21st century that people are working so many hours and having so few holidays.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In other workplaces it's called presenteeism.

Nobody cares to be the first to leave. They can be sitting there listening to beats or a podcast whilst pretending to study a spreadsheet. Or they could be playing on their mobile. It's rife. Sometimes they are working their little nuts off. That's also true. It's all gone to hell in a handbasket.

As for hours worked? If you feel it's too much and you feel oppressed by woe? Then it's too much!

If you spent 10 hours lovingly handcrafting paper flower displays for your class to put on their tables because you think it'll cheer them and you like the look of it? That's great. Time well spent if you enjoyed it.

agathamorse and SundaeTrifle like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Next time you have your car fixed or consult a lawyer just tell them you won't be paying for their extra hours as they are reasonable.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If my contract with them said something about reasonable hours, then perhaps I might, but it doesn't, unlike teachers' contracts. When I have my car repaired, they quote me a price, and I don't have to pay extra if they take longer than expected. I am not saying I agree with the hours people have to work, just that standard school contracts do not specify a number of hours per week. People may not like those contracts, but those were the conditions that many teachers first started with. As has been pointed out, some managers expect too much of staff, or claim that work can be done in less time than it really takes. I wonder if people would prefer to work a standard 9-5 day, 45 weeks or so a year, with no work to take home, as is the case for many workers. Personally, I liked the flexibility to just work my directed time on some days and more on others, and to have longer holidays than most. But I was fortunate to have a job where I did not often have to go above 40 hours in a week, and did less some weeks.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

I would be delighted with 9 -5, 45 weeks a year, as long as the pay rose accordingly. The reason why teachers pay was historically so low was that all teachers get lots of unpaid holiday in the year. So if they want to employ me for more weeks, I want more money.

Piranha likes this.