1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work over Easter

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Coming to the end of my 2 and a bit weeks off and haven't done a minute of work - just can't seem to find any motivation! Is anyone else in the same boat? I've loved my 2 weeks off, gone quick but been pretty busy and now I'm just having some chilled time, reading, catching up on telly etc. There's always a small guilt in the back of my mind though...

MissGeorgi, drek, Nanny Ogg and 9 others like this.
  2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Good for you! Same here! Should we feel guilty? No, that's what holidays are for, as a better manager once told me! :) Do I still feel guilty at times? Of course, so did a couple of bits of admin stuff yesterday. I will be doing no more than that though as I have had a horrendously busy and tiring year so far (not my doing) and have chronic neuropathic pain in my back, so remind myself that I HAVE to rest when I'm not at work if I wish to function.

Enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday! :)

phlogiston, drek, steely1 and 3 others like this.
  3. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I've had a huge stack of coursework to get through. Normally I would have put it off and had to cram it the day before going back in, but I've spent an hour or 2 in the evenings after my boyfriends gone to bed sorting all the paperwork, marking etc - and do feel better for it. Haven't had that mad stress, and am looking forward to going back without feeling the guilt.

This is completely out of character though, normally I wouldn't touch a thing, but I've felt particularly motivated this holiday - Lord knows why!

4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Maybe because you know that there is not long left of the academic year to go? :)

5. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I feel completely guilty and full of anxiety. Next term is going to be hell and I know it. Lost of personal staff and the full teaching experience + all the work I have not done from Spring term + my ADHD. :(

I should be working instead of procrastinating in TES. I am blocked. I have read something saying, "just think in what you are going to do today."

6. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

I know I'm a procrastinator and wouldn't work at home so I went into school last week for a couple of days.
    I feel really annoyed about it though. I work 12 hour days and I STILL have to work through the holidays to stay on track.
    Counting down to retirement...

bombaysapphire, drek and agathamorse like this.
  7. brownc31

brownc31 New commenter

If you don’t do work in your own time you don’t deserve to be a teacher tbh

8. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Hmmmm...food for thought...

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

So how much work done in your own time is required in order to deserve to be a teacher?

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I beg your pardon!?! What!?! :eek::mad::eek:

I thought you had a lovely new post in an fab indie? Hopefully you don't have much work to do and any you could do can also be safely left?

When are you back? Do you have an INSET day where you can go in early and stay late and so get all your work done then?

agathamorse likes this.
  11. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

My thoughts exactly!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

What bull**** is this? Posts like this make my blood boil.

13. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

I've done pretty much nothing! Oh well!

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Tautologous.
    Being a teacher,I do not actually have any of my own time therefore the time to which you allude is not available in which to do work ergo teachers deserve to be teachers before you even posted that.
    In other words, what a complete nonsense of a statement.

15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Just think about that statement.
    Seriously - think about it.
    ‘Your own time’ - that is definitively yours. Not the schools. Yours.
    Our jobs should provide us with sufficient time to do the work we have to do. Or give us less work so that it can be done in the time available.
    Would you expect a brick layer to make bricks after work? Or a surgeon to hang around after hours and amputate the odd leg? Of course not.
    ‘Deserve to be a teacher?’ - what sort of messed up logic is this? If I’m not prepared to work unpaid, in a system where executive heads are sometimes pulling down ten times the salary of an experienced teacher, where there’s enough cash in ‘rainy day’ reserves to give every UK teacher an 8K raise, where schools won’t buy textbooks but will hire ‘consultants’ - I’m not fit to do my job?

Forgive my irritation, but this is why we’re on the TESover Easter, looking for moral support because we’ve had the temerity to use our holiday to rest rather than work. Because teaching is the only profession I know of where people actually believe that we should work unpaid, in your own time.

This attitude has to change.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hang on a minute.

I'm on my tablet so I'll provide the link later but it does state in STPCD that you have to work beyond directed time! I wasn't the most assiduous of teachers but even I couldn't do all my planning and preparation in the 1265. Well, the 60% of it that constituted my job.

It is absolutely expected that you do more than that. In writing!

But, if you're already prepared for next term, you may not need to do anything in the holidays. The curriculum might be set in stone and there's nothing for you to do. You might have been doing the same old thing for years and you know you'll be fine.

You're all right!

We all need to do more than 1265 as the 1265 isn't actually that much. An 8-hour day multiplied by 39 weeks is 1540 hours. That's for a 5-day week. And that's not unreasonable as a workload. It'd be quite hard to get it all done in 1265.

But you all do far more than that and a lot of it is garbage anyway! So you're all correct. You didn't need to do anything this Easter? Fine. We trust you. Good. Enjoy the weather. But few teachers can perform well if they stick to 1265. Which is why the STPCD reminds us that there is work to do beyond the actual hours the HT has at her disposal to direct us to teach/be there/attend meetings/see parents.

17. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Indeed it does, but that’s really my point.
    What other job has T&Cs that don’t specify actual working hours? I don’t mean ones where additional work in your own time will benefit you, but where the basic tasks of your job just have to be done no matter how long they take?
    Who in the hell would sign that contract?
    We have a workload culture because teachers have accepted it. And it’s time we stopped accepting it.

ATfan, celago22, drek and 1 other person like this.
  18. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

It is generally accepted that more hours than 1265 need to be put in to fulfill the role of teaching BUT this needs to be reasonable in order for teachers to function as human beings and have a reasonable quality of life.

bombaysapphire, ATfan, drek and 2 others like this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm the same. I haven't started yet

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

or any school that expects us to work in our own time doesn't deserve to have us as teachers...