1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work Outside of Term Times

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by GB1982, Aug 19, 2016.

1. GB1982

GB1982 New commenter

Hi All,

I am based in north Leeds and have recently secured my first position as a TA (a career change for me. Starts this Sept), working at a high school in East Leeds, primarily working with students with complex needs. As all on this forum will know, the salary is pretty minimal for TAs. and I would be looking to work during most holiday periods to supplement my TA income. I'd ideally like to work in the education/child care field, and have contacted what local holiday camp type places I could find. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of places o avenues that I could look at for non-term time work?

Cheers v much!

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You could try retail - many shops take on extra staff over the holidays (especially around the time of the sales). It might be worth seeing if temp agencies will take on people that are only available during school holidays (would make sense as a lot of parents would want time off during school holidays). Many congratulations on your first TA job.

Bumptious likes this.
  3. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Have you considered being a carer during the holidays? One of my colleagues cares for children and young adults with severe SEN during the holidays, when they come back from their residential schools. ☺