1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work opportunities in the UK after returning from an overseas job

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I am in my 5th year of teaching and I am desperately trying to get a job in a school overseas, my main concern is, if I decide to come back to the UK, what are the chances that I'll be able to find a job here again? I know someone who is doing supply ever since his return.

2. Training_2_Teach

I am in my 5th year of teaching and I am desperately trying to get a job in a school overseas, my main concern is, if I decide to come back to the UK, what are the chances that I'll be able to find a job here again? I know someone who is doing supply ever since his return.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

yes I think you will find that a common thing. However you have time on your side and still fairly young.
    More chance of being emplyed than older, more expensive teachers.
    You have to decide if it is worth the risk.
    Do I think it is? - yes!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Of course, the sensible thing to do might be to stay overseas.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I have twice returned to the UK and found work, the first time to the state sector [​IMG]. However, after four years in the independent school the urge (addiction?) forced me back overseas.
    So yes, it is possible. Most expat teachers I've had this conversation with tend to agree that it's easier to return to the UK by aiming for the independent sector as international schools have more in common with these types of school than the state sector.
    However, there are so many teachers out of work in the UK (based on what I hear from Uncle Griff) that anyone and everyone will find it difficult to find work at the moment.
    As Mr Hippo suggests, why would you want to go back to the UK?

6. Training_2_Teach

Thanks for the advise guys. The only reason I would come back to the UK would be if the school/working conditions became untolerable and out of control forcing us to return to the UK or if my wife/kid decided that they no longer wanted to stay overseas and return to sweet home in the UK.