1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work more hours that I used to after the lockdown

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Silant, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Silant

Silant New commenter

Hello, today I have received the new timetable to work in the school from the following week. We reopen for non key workers children from following Monday. I have a part time contract of 10 hours a week. And they have put me down to work every day of the week full time. I know we all are living in a difficult situation and we have to help each other in this unprecedented time but I don’t feel very comfortable with that. I want to help but I think it is unfair. Nobody have texted me or anything to ask if I am comfortable with this. They did ask if we were unable to work for any reason we should said. But isn’t my case I can work, I want to work but my hours. What is your thoughts? Is anybody in the same situation than me?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Chances are it's simply a mistake. Phone whoever is in charge of writing the timetable and ask.

3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

yes this doesn't sound right to me. Contact them!

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

First thing is to ask and clarify. It's probably a mistake. I've done a bit of time tabling, sort of mistake that's easy to make if not all the information is there.
    If you were to choose to work those hours, then you need a new contract with of course commensurate pay.
    If you cannot, or do not want to work those hours, then you need to remind them of your contract and explain that you can't work any more hours.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it may well be an oversight.

Think of all the timetable changes which often are needed when a new timetable is produced. Staff teaching two different classes at same time or double-booking a classroom and add on all the stress of producing a new timetable whilst organising classrooms for social distancing , storing unneeded items etc and it's easy to think how mistakes can be made.

6. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

I would send a quick email today to whoever sent out the timetable.

Clearly, someone's made a massive mistake somewhere along the line. There was a clear expectation that staff were not expected to work from home on days that they didn't work, so it can't be the case that they should be expected to work in school on days they don't work...

I would hope that you'll get an "oh, silly me" type response back, with the instruction to present to work on the days you usually work.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There in nothing in the new coronavirus legislation nor in any DfE guidance that could possibly be interpreted to mean a school can unilaterally change a 10 hr PT contract into a FT one. Do as suggested above. If that doesn't resolve let us know what they say and involve your union asap.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

It’s a mistake - they have forgotten your hours. Ping them a polite email.

Dear .....

There is a mistake on my timetable. I am part time, work 10 hrs a week and am paid according to that.

Can you look into this and get back to me? I can do these days/ times similar as I previously did ....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020