1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work Life Balance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colmal4, Jun 8, 2012.

1. colmal4

colmal4 New commenter

Nearing the end of my first year as a teacher, I look back at a very successful start professionally. I have helped both departments that I work within at KS4 achieve improved headline figures, and will actually receive a TLR on my return, for which I am excited and delighted.

However...

I have worked harder than I have ever worked, and, potentially as a result, I have recently separated with my long term girlfriend, which I am absolutely gutted about.

I am worried about my work and my life. With recent events, I cant stop thinking about the following phrase:

"Working to Live, not Living to Work".

Someone, anyone, please say something that is going to make me feel better.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Relationships are harder when one of you doesnt work in education as I think most non teaching partners think they will get someone with a nice cushy 9-3:00 job and lots of holidays. They often cant understand all the extra stuff and can resent it. Also they definately resent anything you have to buy out of your own pocket for resources etc. I think this is why many teachers are married to other teachers. I've been with my OH 25 years and we still have arguements about who works longer hours etc. He was quite shocked recently when I wrote down my FT hours. He is in a job himself that works at least 48 hrs a week, but I was doing 60hrs FT during term time with a TLR equivalent.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I plan little treats - spa days at weekends, nights out with friends, weekends away. They don't have to be expensive things. Have something to look forward to in every holiday - even if it's just a day trip or a visit to friends. Once a week/ fortnight/ month put an appointment in your diary at 4pm. That way if anyone asks you to do something you can say "I'm sorry I've got an appointment at 4" you won't be lying. That appointment is with you. Go home and read a book, go to the gymn, go swimming, shopping, for a walk, to the hairdressers/ nail bar, meet a friend. Do anything but keep that appointment with yourself. I ask my staff to do this and it works for them. Also remember work expands to fit time allowed. When you're feeling snowed under take a long look at work and ask "do I really have to do this? What will be the consequence if I don't?" . You're a long time dead, work hard but play hard too. Work should not consume you. Teaching has ebbs and flows, there are tough times and easier times and the early years are tough. By all means use some of the 6 weeks as preparation to make next year easier but get a break. Get out of the house every day and enjoy!

4. It is a bit of a myth that people who don't teach work necessarily fewer hours than teachers. Many of us regularly work long hours and take work home and we don't have the holidays to catch up. I very often work a 50 to 60 hour week, but that is part and parcel of the managerial job I took on, and I did it knowing full well it would take a big chunk out of my time.
    You need to learn to make a "cut off" time, where you just stop working, no matter how much you still have to do. It is possible and gets easier with experience as you get your head around what is really necessary and what can wait.
    My cut off time is 9 p.m. although if a lot is going on, I might overextend. But I refuse to do that every night, and my weekends are very definitely for the kids and me.
    Sorry that your relationship suffered - it won't in future, if that is any consolation, because you have now learnt that you need to prioritise your time - and I promise you, with time, it will become much easier.

5. Please can I come and work for you. You sound an amazing Head to work for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You sound amazing, can I work for you !. I agree with the need for a work life balance.