1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

work life balance

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by summersj88, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Hi work life balance; what work life balance?. I have been teaching 11 years and I teach in a good school. But my workload and stress levels have increase a great deal this year to the point that in the last month a tried to take my own life. I am still having dark thoughts about suicide good a. I just seem to be working all the time I get up at 5am each day in term time and go to bed about 10pm, the longest time when I am not working is the time is takes me to drive to and from work. Lunchtimes I am help pupils with coursework and even have them coming in before and after school. I have no resources, no books and I am unable to photocopy anything because the departmental budget has been reduced at the same time as new schemes are come in; but I am still expected to produce outstanding lessons. My time in the holidays is spent sorting out new resources, marking coursework, marking books and writing reports and preparing lessons. Then we get told that we are coasting and that I need to work harder, so I am going to try giving up sleep.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Please don't try and give up sleep. A zombie on no sleep will not produce outstanding lessons!
    You need to speak to someone about the pressure that you are feeling. Does anyone know about your suicide attempt? You need to put work onto the back-burner for a while and deal with the fact that you are depressed.
    Please see your GP. If you don't feel able to do that then call these: http://teachersupport.info/

3. becky70

becky70 New commenter

You must know that you can't continue as you are. Do your school know about your suicide attempt? They have a duty of care and if your workload is already so high that you are prepared to attempt to end your life then they can't ask you to do more.
    In any case, it sounds to me like you should be signed off with stress and not going into work at all. Do as the previous poster advised and ring the Samritans and then make an appointment to see your GP.
    A job is not worth ending your life for - please get some help asap.

4. I totally agree with becky here and I'm speaking from hard experience! Do yourself a favour and get some support NOW!

5. continuing as you are is about as much use as giving an optician the things you would like to see more clearly. I urge you to get some help.

6. Stop teaching.
    I would rather work in a shop for less pay than feel that down, and I'm not really sure why you're still doing it if it is causing you such misery.

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I don't feel like the op, thankfully, but there are so many reasons why people are still doing it and most of them are financial. Unfortunately you can't just say to the bank, the credit card company, your children's halls of residence or whatever your commitments are that you don't feel up to paying them any more!

8. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I don't think the OP should give up teaching but (s)he clearly can't go on as (s)he is.
    I'm concerned that we haven't heard again from the OP. This thread is really very worrying and it would be good to know how they are.