1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work Life Balance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

By having no kids and a boyfriend who is hardly in!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Plan some social events and work around them. Keeps things in perspective and works far better than trying to do things the other way around. x

3. Make this year the year you get a filing cabinet and get organised. Only thing that helped me was putting each year's work in a drawer to come back to.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

careers do not disrupt lives, jobs do
    discuss

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

This may make you laugh out loud, but your Headteacher is contractually bound to ensure that the teachers in their school have a work-life balance. Likewise, your Governors are legally bound to ensure the Head has a work-life balance. Your school should (in theory) have a published policy on this, though many don't.

It's in the Teachers' Pay & Conditions Document, soon to be a relic of the past if Mr Gove gets his way.

6. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Yes it did make me laugh out loud you're right! The best joke I've heard this week!
    Oh and having no kids now living at home and a husband who is always in doesn't really count then I suppose!

7. I managed to find the time to bleach my moustache 2 weekends ago and told myself that I had achieved work life balance.
    This weekend I am going to tesco.
    I am a rounded human being.

8. 576

576 Established commenter

Do only what needs to be done to get you through to tomorrow

9. LOL

10. Wow, you managed to get to Tesco !. I have't been in months. I use Tesco on line as I would not want to waste my time there when I have so little time to spare !.
    As for Heads ensuring a work life balance depends on what they consider life to be !.
    A treat for me is finishing everything by 9.00pm !. No husband and no kids. How people with families survive I would love to know.

11. You can spend every minute of every day working if you choose to. There is always something to be done. So, set yourself a deadline (and 9pm is not healthy) and stick to it. I'm retraining and will be out of teaching within two years. No more will I be bound to a timetable. No more will I have to feel guilty for not working 24/7. I will work as I please, when I please, and every single thing I do will be directly useful to my new career. No job is worth the death of a relationship or the annihilation of a personal life. Good luck!

12. I've been teaching 11 years and I've found it so hard to have a balance. I'm in a management role now and I just find it all consuming. I'm 34, single and I'm worried that life is passing me by and I can't enjoy myself and meet people as I'm always working. Even if I'm not, I'm too exhausted to go out. Feel like I need to break free. No idea how people with children manage!

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think in some cases the honest answer is you're less patient with your kids than if you had a proper work-life balance. I know I was, and I don't feel good about it. I also dislike not being able to remember a significant part of my kids' childhoods because I was distracted by school stuff. Fortunately Mrs MSB elected to stay home with them when they were little, while I did the paid work, so at least they got her undivided attention for a while. It's not a unique problem to teaching, but our chosen profession has a nasty tendency to infest your every waking moment if you let it.

14. I try to ensure that I do all my work out of the home, so that the boundaries between the two are clear.
    I tend to get in school early, so that I can do an hours marking before students arrive
    I had some assessments to mark this weekend, so whilst my son was at his football training and my daughter was at her dance class, I took myself off to a nice cafe, ordered breakfast and a huge pot of tea and set to work. It's all done now and I'm free to enjoy the rest of my weekend.

15. What a lovely rule to be able to set yourself.
    I struggle because Mr Shaz often works away and so I have to taxi our children to their various activites, cannot get into school significantly before the students and often have to leave on the bell. Since they have started secondary school my work life imbalance has been significantly worse as I am rarely free to start marking/planning before 9pm. I manage by doing everything to a much lower standard than I would like.

16. I have always worked hard as a teacher, but have always had a good social life and a happy home life. I don't believe that the job has to take over your life. I agree with others that it will fill in as many hours as you let it so- DON'T LET IT!
    I love planning ahead for holidays and think that it is a real bonus of the job. I was out Thursday night, last night and I'm out again tonight. I shall fit in school work tomorrow before going to see Peter Kay on Monday night. I keep the balls juggling in the air and got a high grade from OFSTED on their last visit.

17. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

Some years ago I asked my INSET manager if I could go on a time management course - he burst out laughing and I never did go on the course. In my school half the staff seem to have no problem balancing whilst the other half are literally on their knees. Each week/month/term/academic year I tell myself that this is the time I am going to rebalance my life - all that happens is when I don't work every hour there is I get further in the quagmire. Wonder if the situation is worse for those with pastoral responsibilities in a school?

18. Sounds like a nice way to work!
    I'm going back to work on Wednesday following mat leave and previously thought I'd have no way to fit it all in. But you know what, I think I'll spend less time standing around having cups of tea now and will settle for things being "good enough" rather than cutting stuff out myself because my classroom assistant isn't as neat as I would be.

As someone else said, teaching is the kind of job which could take up all your time if you let it - I know when I was single and lived with my parents I spent so many extra hours doing extra things - and now I have a home to look after, dinner to cook, baby to look after and spend time blowing raspberries with....clearly I'm not spending my free time laminating!
    Also recommend a filing cabinet - and not just slinging stuff in the bottom drawer with an idea of "I'll file that properly later".

19. RKM

RKM

It is hard.
    I find this term to be the hardest as the race is on to get yr 11 c/w in. There is a consant battle with other staff as its the same kids everyone wants. This years Easter hols have put a spanner in the wrks as they r so long and all the c/w has to be in b4 we break up so it can be sent off in the 1st few days back.
    I understand the argument issue as it happens in my house as well. I have an 19month old and I try my best to get out from wrk at 4pm.
    Weekends can be hard. I normally do my wrk on Sat/Sun evening after little one has gone to bed. has gone to bed.

20. That is so true. Even when you are not physically working, there is always a sense that there is something that needs to be done.
    I think the workload varies between subjects. English teachers have a horrifying workload and I believe that the unions should be making a case for them to be taken off timetable to mark coursework. Truly horrendous.
    Also, different schools exact different demands. Some have weird marking criteria and salivate (or should that be ***) over APP and AfL that means you spend 20 mins poring over a piece of work that the student spent 15 mins on, desperately trying to match up their efforts to some stupid criteria. You do this lots oif times every term to produce masses of data that show "This student is a level 5c", when you could have done that in 10 seconds from having worked with them professionally in lessons and marked their books with a discerning eye.
    It's exhausting!