1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work in an Independent school at the moment, should I apply for maintained job?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ms Independant, May 6, 2012.

1. Ms Independant

Ms Independant New commenter

I currently work in an Independent school, which I love. I love the people I work with, know the job inside and out and have been there since qualifying 6 years ago. In that time I have managed to become maths coordinator, ICT coordinator and recently qualified for SEN coordination with the NASCO course ( which my school paid for).

Here is my problem, a job has come up in a school literally just up the road from me for maths intervention teacher, they also have a vacancy for ICT coordinator and Inclusion manager ( I can do all 3). They are offering a TLR2b for each vacancy and I would apply for UPS as well. At the moment I get a minimal amount for SEN coordination and maths, I think 3500 for both for the year. My basic pay is a little bit less than state as well.

I am in a quandary as to what to do. I love my school but know my career prospects are limited there as I have reached the top of the promotion ceiling, the only place to go is deputy head and she's not leaving any time soon. I am also aware that I am out the loop with all the latest methods as in service training can be lacking in my current school. My confidence in my ability to make it in the state sector has gone, I know i am a cable and good teacher but because i know i am out the loop as such i feel second best. If i don't move though i will be stuck in the private sector forever! I am getting bored with the same thing every day for 6 years now and feel i want to move on but i am hesitating.

I may be asking opinions on this for no reason anyway as the job is advertised as a September start and in independent schools we have to hand in our notice by 30th April for an august leave so i wouldn't be able to start until January.