1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work history on application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Thespirit82, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Thespirit82

Thespirit82 New commenter

Hello everyone

Apologies if this has been answered lots, I tried a search but couldn’t seem to find anything.

I had a dreadful experience at a school and left very quickly. I asked to and was able to because a replacement was found. I was there for one half term. Prior to that I spent years at a school without any issues at all.

I’m worried that the very short tenure is causing my problems applying for positions and I’m unsure what to do. I’d be more than happy to discuss the circumstances at interview given a chance, but I’m wondering if it’s acceptable to leave the school off an application altogether and then explain if and when I get an offer, or would this be a fraudulent application?

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gosh no, you mustn't submit an application with a false statement of employment history!

So that's out of the question.

Whenever you have something in your details that might be considered a bit worrying by the school, the thing to do is to mention it, and explain it away, very very briefly in your application. One or two short sentences, don't make a big deal about it.

My time at Greengates School was very short; I realised almost immediately that I was not the right person for that school, and fortunately it was possible for me to leave at half term. From this I have learned . . . (go on to say very briefly what you learned.).

So at least they know that you weren't sacked for pocketing the ski-trip money, or any other reason that they might start imagining. Never leave them with something unusual where their imagination could run riot!

Good luck with next application. Theo Griff

3. Thespirit82

Thespirit82 New commenter

Thank you Theo!