1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work giving out phone number

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shelly1984, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

The disease was in the school.The suspension was while we awaited blood test results for my immunity and, in the event, I was immune anyway. Slapped cheek isn't generally harmful to non-pregnant people so no issues for the children.

I didn't take any issue with her passing my number on but I would certainly have asked somebody before passing their number onto a stranger. I think that's general courtesy rather than a written rule. It only takes a quick text!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

o I see, I misunderstood

Piscean1 and Piranha like this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I read it like you did the first time!

4. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Very silly comment.

Really? IF you are a headteacher then can I suggest you lean some people skills.

5. shelly1984

shelly1984 New commenter

I think initially I was annoyed (I had just found out about the added complications). I do know that the cover teacher could have asked for my number from other staff in the class. Like I said I am happy to help, they are quite a challenging and demanding class so any help I can provide I will. They even have the use of all my personal resources (which I will try to retrieve before a free for all begins in July when I'm not there!) I have calmed down, I won't be going in all guns blazing, I probably won't even mention it...I doubt they're happy with me taking the time off anyway so don't want to go on maternity leave with bad feelings!
    Unfortunately the preparation of the house is one thing I'm unable to do with my problem...but I do supervise and give out orders to my OH!

Corvuscorax likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

OK.
    Good.
    But not mentioning it to avoid bad feelings is not really communicating the issue, which is perfectly doable, maybe even advisable, without getting anybody's back up.
    Contact your human resources person (sometimes that is also the HT's PA) and just let them know that you prefer for your number not to be passed out during this particular absence as you are in need of rest and privacy, and could that be communicated to relevant parties.
    It's a basic and sensible request, it will not be made into a big issue, and it's clearly important to you on some level or else you would not have started the thread.
    Avoiding bad feelings does not mean simply not saying anything at all-as it stands you present as willing to receive more phone communication.

mothorchid and shelly1984 like this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are absolutely right. I seem to have been infected with TES forums disease. A compulsion to advise anyone who doesn't like anything to complain to their union immediately :D

8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

You should probably speak to your union about that.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

:D:D:D

TheoGriff likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Go to your GP while you're at it too.
    You are clearly unwell.

Pomza, TheoGriff, Piranha and 2 others like this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Says who? This is something that could/should be covered by absence management policy and is nothing to do with the comment I made in relation to a previous post about a non-existent data breach.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Because schools don’t really understand this stuff - as is evident from this thread...

13. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Haha, no you're not, and no it wouldn't, because you're not. Go and troll elsewhere. :rolleyes:

IanG and Corvuscorax like this.
  14. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

They shouldn’t have given your mobile number out with your permission, also, if you are signed off sick- why are they contacting you?
    As a HT myself, I would never give out staff contact details let alone contact a member of staff who is signed off sick unless it’s urgent.
    Feel free to provide the information to the cover teacher on this occasion, but contact the HT or DHT and inform them that you don’t wish for your details to be given out.
    If it’s regarding cover work, then, if you’re secondary, it’s the responsibility of the HoD or designated teacher to set the work, if you’re primary, then it’s KS Co-ordinator or a member of SLT.

15. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

(Off topic but a lot of people are beginning to get upset/annoyed/offended by the comments of GreenTrees123 - is it just me or does said poster bear a distinct resemblance to another former poster who was supposedly a non-teacher member of SLT at a utterly bizarre free school? Did they fancy a promotion?)

16. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If I worked at a school where my personal number was given out (without my permission) to someone covering my lessons (or, indeed anyone other than my line manager/HT), I'd change my private number and simply not tell the school. It's a question of trust. (They can always email if there is an urgent message to send, after all!)

shelly1984 likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not just you - the comparison has already been made. I hope that either it is correct or that neither poster is genuine - one such manager is already more than enough!

TheoGriff likes this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

That sprang to my mind instantly too. A rapid promotion?

TheoGriff likes this.
  19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there. I do hope that all this upset isn't affecting what should be a lovely time for you, thinking of your family and the little one to come. Just think - next Christmas, she or he will be here!

Here is a letter for a similar situation. You should amend it slightly for your case, but keep it quite formal and non-subjective. You send it to the HT. By just declining to carry out tasks, and asking not to be contacted, you are covering the fact that your phone was given out, without making an issue of it or putting anyone to blame.

Letter declining to carry out tasks during sick leave

When you are signed off by your doctor, it means signed off from all work; this includes marking, reports, lesson preparation and all curriculum planning. Now if you have a broken leg and are bored to tears, you might wish to do something—although the key is that you don’t have to. However, colleagues signed off with anxiety or work-related stress should most certainly not do any work-related tasks. None at all.

Here is a draft letter, amend it as necessary.

Date

Dear Ms. Greene

I have today received a letter/e-mail/phonecall from you/my HoD/a colleague asking me to set work/mark coursework/write reports for my classes.

I am afraid that I must decline to do this.

As you know, I am currently signed off from work with a Fit Note that expires on (give date).

During this period I must concentrate all my efforts on returning to health, and so am unable to carry out any of the duties normally associated with my post as a teacher in Treetops Academy.

You will understand that in order to ensure that my health improves and I am therefore able to return to my duties on (date Fit Note says), I must follow the specific advice of my GP and neither undertake any work related to school, nor deal with queries.

I would therefore be grateful if you would ensure that all my colleagues are aware that they should not contact me about any school matter at all. Thank you for this.

I am sorry that you and my colleagues will be inconvenienced by my absence, but I am hopeful that by following strictly the advice that I have been given by my medical practitioner, my health will improve sufficiently to enable me to resume my duties at the end of this predicted period of absence.

If, however, my health does not improve and I am not deemed fit for work as soon as I had hoped, then I shall inform you as soon as possible so that you can make any further arrangements to cover my classes and other duties.

Yours sincerely

Debra Browne

So that should, with a few tweaks, cover your situation and leave you in peace to think only about you and your growing family.

With very best wishes for everything - how exciting it all is!

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I am a registered Data Handler for my student rental property. I hold information on tenants electronically (tenancy agreements, copies of passports for Right To Rent etc). I can hold the information for the length of the tenancy and for 12 months afterwards.
    I cannot give out any of the data without the permission of the person concerned. Several times per year I do pass on existing tenants' telephone numbers when the next group of tenants wants to visit the house or wants to arrange changeover details. I always ask for permission to pass on those numbers and I keep evidence of that permission being given.

shelly1984 and TheoGriff like this.