1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work for yourself instead of supply??!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by maverick1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Have any of you heard of the Kip McGrath Education centres? You buy a franchise and they do all the marketing. You teach about 5 kids per session per hour after school from about 4.30 to 8.30 at £20 per child. Numeracy Literacy etc ages 6-16. I hear folk can make £1500 per week.What do you think? Could beat supply and its agonies?? I am considering.

2. Have any of you heard of the Kip McGrath Education centres? You buy a franchise and they do all the marketing. You teach about 5 kids per session per hour after school from about 4.30 to 8.30 at £20 per child. Numeracy Literacy etc ages 6-16. I hear folk can make £1500 per week.What do you think? Could beat supply and its agonies?? I am considering.

3. Sounds too good to be true!

Have you got any links you can post?

4. You need to be in the right sort of area.

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I should think that is true, I haven't had any response here for private tuition at all yet.

6. Wassernixe

I am speaking to the Kip McGrath people today and will advise if anyone is interested

7. If the supply drought hits my work I may well work for myself, but not thinking of a teaching franchise, (but £1500 a week is very considerable and now you have researched it, worth considering)M6 pay to scale is about £710 a week, plus 13.5% pension contribution.

So far not needed to go self-employed, but who knows next year maybe.

8. Nearly £14,000 for the franchise and around £2000 starting costs. Thats a bit out of my league at the moment !!!

9. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

I don't fancy the hours(after school).

10. I have worked for the Kip McGrath Education Centre in South Africa as there are franchises there also. It is a wonderful opportunity if you are looking to get into it. i.e. very rewarding (financially and especially teaching aspect)..... but (and it may be different in the UK) you have to do the marketing and advertising yourself, it is a huge initial outlay and if you do not get the students coming in within the first couple months to cover expenses, it will be an up-road battle!

Good luck!

11. I am doing some tutoring for kip mcgrath. I know a couple of people who run them locally to me. They say it is the best thing they ever did, well worth the money! Maximum of 5 kids paying £28 each per session.

12. I have come very late to this I know but if anyone is interested in thisfranchise look at www.kipmcgrath.com. I am just about to open one of these centres, very excited but also terrified!

13. I would like to make a few observations about Kip McGrath Centres, based on my experiences as an ex-franchisee.

Bear in mind that everything I say here is an opinion, and I am not in any way trying to denigrate the Kip McGrath opportunity.

As I say, I used to own a Kip McGrath Franchise and had a reasonable income out of it.

However I believe that the monthly franchise fees are very high for what you actually get for your money - i.e. the fees are supposed to cover not only materials and stock, but also business advice and support.

Regrettably I did not feel that I ever received the help and support which the fee was supposed to cover, as the Franchise Masters appeared to be too focussed on selling new franchises, rather than providing a quality service to existing franchisees.

When I eventally wanted to sell up my Centre due to illness, the Franchise Master insisted that I sell according to a Mathematical Formula (which I have since found out from my accountants undervalued my business by at least 20%!).

Not only that, I had to guarantee to the purchasor an agreed minimum number of customers turning up for the entire week leading up to the sale, and was penalised a considerable sum for every absent student, (even if they were only away on holiday for a week!)

Unfortunately, at the week on which the sale took place I had four or five students absent through illness and was penalised financially for each one, even though they would have returned to the Centre as normal once they got better. I was furious, but I wanted out of Kip, so i didn't kick up too much of a fuss.

What annoyed me the most was that the Franchise Masters spent their time advising and supporting the PURCHASOR on all aspects of the sale, rather than advising and supporting ME as the fee-paying franchisee!
    As a consequence of the advice from the Master, the purchasor, who had been prepared to pay the asking price for the business, lowered their offer considerably, to my fury.

I certainly felt that as I was paying a franchise fee for professional advice (which I didn't get) and the purchasor wasn't, it was none of the Franchise Master's business how much I sold my Centre for.

I was also told that mine was to be the first Centre to be sold in the UK, and that I was a "test case" for the formula.

Once again, this piece of information turned out to be untrue - I later found out that another franchise had been sold before mine. Why wasn't I told? I could have benefitted from advice over my sale from that vendor!

I guess Kip were hoping that the sale would not be worthwhile to me financially, and that I would stay.

Now I have discovered that only a portion of the original franchise area for which I was paying fees was actually sold to the purchasor, and the rest has been divided up into new areas for sale.
    This possibly explains why I was offered so much less for my business than its true value. The new franchisee wasn't getting the full franchise area!
    I should have been given some compensation for this, as I had bought those wards as part of my initial and ongoing franchise agreement.
    I am currently taking legal advice over the matter.

What I am saying is, by all means purchase a Kip McGrath Centre, the business model itself is great, and you can make a reasonable income out of it if you set up in the right place.

All I am concerned about is that I don't think the advice I received was always the best advice (and my solicitor and accountants both agree on this point), and was unhappy that my sale was undermined for no legitimate reason that I, was able to fathom.

I would suggest that you take a contract to a solicitor before signing. If you are given a 'Mathematical Formula' on which any sale is based, get it checked out by a solicitor to make sure it is a formula that is fair and that will enable your business's value to be assessed accurately if you ever decide to sell.

Oh yes, make sure you get any advice from the Franchise Master in writing, so there can be no doubt over what is being said to you. I know from having talked to colleagues who are still in Kip that three people could ask the same question, and all be told different things!

I for one am glad to be out of Kip McGrath and wouldn't touch it again with a bargepole, but that is a personal opinion and was more to do with my personal unhappiness with the modus operandi of the current Franchise Masters. I cannot speak for anyone else!

Hope you have a great time and enjoy the benefits of the franchise!

14. Post 12
    Make NO apologies !!!!!!!!!

The Kip McG or whoever they are are a complete waste of money !!!!!!!!!!!

U can set up by yorself and make much more in terms of rewards and money .........

As they say, "invent the perfect mousetrap" ... u know the rest ...... 1 thing i would say, every child requires education ....... once children are being born, u have a ready-made market !!

So, let Kip McG (or whoever they are) take a KIP (and permanent one !!) and let true enterprise reign supreme !!

15. As I mentioned, I am just about to open one of these centres, so am interested in your post Daedalus1966. I am finding my master franchisor incredibly helpful (not sure whereabouts you are obviously). I know of one or two centres near me that have been sold, although I don't know how recently. I enquired about how a sale price is calculated when I did my training, and was categorically told that there is no formula. It seems that the different areas may run in different ways - I will just have to wait and see.

16. Chigley... if you happen to read this thread again, could you please let us know how your Kip McGrath centre is going? The pros, the cons... I am just curious about this franchise and would like to know first hand someone's experience...

17. I'm actually due to open my centre (in NW Kent) next week. I have got a few assessments booked already and I've only done minimal advertising so really pleased. My husband is a business person, and he genuinely thinks the Kip McGrath franchise is an excellent oppportunity for teachers. It remains to be seen! I will update on this thread if you are interested.

18. Hi Chigley,

Keep us updated once in a while if you could. You've taken the plunge when alot of us think about it! I've looked at Kip McGrath with interest but the start up cost is out of my reach (also, working evenings is something that doesn't appeal to me.) However, let us know how it goes please, alot of us would be interested to hear a first hand account, the good and the bad!
    Thanks!

19. Wow!! Didn't expect such an interesting response to my posting!! I had to postpone my visit to Kip this week, but how much are the start up costs altogether and the franchisee fees?

20. The start up fees are around £12500. This guarantees that you will be the only centre in your particular area, the size of which is determined by population. Your money also covers all initial resources, some furniture, training and the backup of a large company. From that £12500, £2000 is given back to you to spend on advertising and marketing in the first few weeks of opening your centre.
    In addition, you are responsible for finding, renting and kitting out business premises. I anticipate spending at least £5-6K on top of startup costs.

Franchise fees are paid on a scale depending on how many children you are tutoring. It is not a percentage of your profits as many franchises are, which is beneficial in the early days. I know a couple of centres tutoring over 100 children a week, and at £25 per child per week that's not a bad income!