1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work first, teach later?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, May 6, 2013.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Tell you what Tony, you started the thread and posted your conjecture as fact. Why don't you show your evidence first?
    We're heads in schools who have worked with a range and variety of teachers over the years and the overwhelming majority don't seem to think your "theory" holds water. My opinion is based on personal experience of working in many schools with hundreds of teachers over a couple of decades. There are more experienced heads than I saying the same. I'd say that's more "evidence" than you've given us so far.
    If you'd bothered to do proper research you'd be aware that many schools are preparing children for the world of work and the skills needed to be successful in that world from nursery upwards. There are some excellent, innovative programmes available to schools and many schools tailor their curriculum to teach these skills across all subject areas, in addition to providing jobs fairs and work experience (my primary does and I know many others do, we even have a cluster to develop this). That's far more useful than the teacher's work experience prior to becoming a teacher. Children aren't going to learn life saving skills by osmosis just because their teacher used to be a firefighter etc.
    Perhaps you could share with us what your experience is, then we can have a proper discussion.
    As for the notion of a paperless school, that just shows how far removed from the realities of education you really are.