1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work experinence placements

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by fella, Jun 22, 2011.

1. fella

fella New commenter

First off, an apology.
    My role is not directly involved in PSHE, but there isnt a forum for CEG so i am hijacking this one!!

I wanted to know if anyone ahs experience of legislation regarding work related learning? I have only taken over as careers coordinator for my school this year and one of my major roles is co-ordinating work experinece placements for our year 10's.
    My principal told me that my predecessor seemed to think there was some form of guidance that KS4 pupils were required to do at least 9 days of work experience. I have tried searching what i think are relevant government/DoE web pages etc. but i can find nothing directly related to minimum requirements.
    Is there anyone out there that may have experience in this field that can tell me is there any formal legislation or guidance about mimumum requirements for work experience placements?
    If so can you direct me to a website or similar source of informataion.

Many thanks.

2. Not sure if there are any rules, but you could try your local education business partnership who may me able to advise. Would be interested to find out the answer

3. Google some of these:
    Requirements set out in forthcoming Education Bill (January 2011)
    Statutory Guidance: Impartial Careers Education (October 2009)
    The requirements set out in Quality, Choice and Aspiration (October 2009)
    The National Quality Standards for Young People?s IAG (2007)
    The statutory requirements for Careers Education and Guidance in England (1997)

The requirements set out in the Programmes of Study for PSHEE: Economic Well-Being and Financial Capability
    The national ?Principles? of impartial careers education
    Good quality, impartial careers education:
    1. Empowers young people to plan and manage their own futures
    2. Responds to the needs of each learner
    3. Provides comprehensive information and advice
    4. Raises aspirations
    5. Actively promotes equality of opportunity and challenges stereotypes
    6. Helps young people to progress
    The National Quality Standards for Young People?s IAG
    1. Young people are informed about how information, advice and guidance services can help them and how to access the services they need.
    2. Young people receive the information, advice and guidance on personal well-being and financial capability issues that they need.
    3. Young people have the information they need to make well-informed and realistic decisions about learning and careers.
    4. Young people have the advice and guidance that they need to make well-informed and realistic decisions about learning and career options.
    5. Information, advice and guidance services promote equality of opportunity, celebrate diversity and challenge stereotypes.
    6. Young people (reflecting the make-up of their communities) are engaged in the design, delivery and evaluation of information, advice and guidance provision.
    7. Parents and carers know how information, advice and guidance can help their children and know how these services are accessed.
    8. Information, advice and guidance providers understand their roles and responsibilities.
    9. Programmes of career and personal development for young people are planned and provided collaboratively.
    10. Staff providing information, advice and guidance are appropriately qualified, work to relevant professional standards and receive continuing professional development.
    11. Information, advice and guidance services are regularly and systematically monitored, reviewed and evaluated and actions are taken to improve services in response to the findings.
    12. Processes for commissioning impartial information, advice and guidance services are effective and result in services that will meet the needs of young people and their parents and carers.

4. http://www.education.gov.uk/search/results?q=work+related+learning

5. fella

fella New commenter

But isn't this still a non-statutory guideline??

6. Hi
    I have a responssibility for organising PSHCE, Careers and Work Experience. I can supply you with all relelvant information such as:
    School Policy Document
    Work Experience Booklet for Employers
    Work Experience Booklet for Students
    Hw to apply for a job
    Writing a CV
    Private Placement Forms
    and possibly anything else you can think of.
    No point in us all re-inventing the wheel. Happy to help just let me know

7. The way I understand it is, WRL is most certainly a statutory requirement at the moment, however work experience does not necessarily have to be completed to fulfil the learning outcomes.

8. fella

fella New commenter

That seems to make sense.
    I am fairly sure than 10 days is a recommendation, not a minimum requirement.
    We are styicking wioth the 10 for now, but if anyone has any other relevant experience please let me know.

9. naggin the nag

naggin the nag New commenter

Straight from the horse's mouth:
    <a href="http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/employersandtraining/workexperience/a005432/is-work-experience-compulsory" title="http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/employersandtraining/workexperience/a005432/is-work-experience-compulsory
    CTRL + Click to follow link">http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/employersandtraining/workexperience/a005432/is-work-experience-compulsory[/URL]

Ps I asked the editor of this section to have a CEIAG strand. No luck so far!

10. fella

fella New commenter

Nothing clearer than that! No it is then.
    Many thanks.

11. Hi Ann
    I would really appreciate you emailing any information you have on Work experience placements etc.

Kind regards
    Sue
    sbarnes@ekhnes.kent.sch.uk

12. Hello Ann

My school wants to reintroduce work placements. Is there anything you still have that you would be willing to share with me? Many thanks.