1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

work experience

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by KJ333, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm trying to decide whether working in an international school will be the right move for me next year. Does anyone work in an international school that will be starting their new school year in mid August and would be willing to take me as a volunteer? No idea whether this is a reasonable request but hope it's not too cheeky. Very willing to get stuck in and not too fussy about where it is as I'm feeling quite open minded at this point. Got to be back to the UK in time to start work on the 5th September though.
    Thanks, KJ

2. Hi, I'm trying to decide whether working in an international school will be the right move for me next year. Does anyone work in an international school that will be starting their new school year in mid August and would be willing to take me as a volunteer? No idea whether this is a reasonable request but hope it's not too cheeky. Very willing to get stuck in and not too fussy about where it is as I'm feeling quite open minded at this point. Got to be back to the UK in time to start work on the 5th September though.
    Thanks, KJ

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I am sure there might be people who would look at your offer (pending checking your credentials etc of course), however you may not get many offers due to the following:
    1.Many international schools are not in term time mid August - Sept 5th (in the ME it's too hot!)
    2. The time you are talking about is the beginning of term where schools/teachers are busy getting ready preparing for the new term so wouldn't want another 'job' to do.
    3. There are many schools/countries where you would not even be able to do volunteer work unless you had some kind of work permit.
    Sorry if this seems negative, just thought I should explain why you might not get many responses.
    We currently have a volunteer PGCE student at our place and a 6th former doing a weeks work experience. We had 2 Year 10 Work Experience earlier this year too. However they were all legitimately doing this.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

VSO is one thing, but working in an international school is another.
    As stopwatch has mentioned, the difficulties associated with getting a work permit may make voluntary work in an international school a non-starter. What about accommodation? Will the school pay for your flights? Medical cover? No, the whole thing does not seem to make sense.

5. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

October half term may be a better time to do a work experience visit. As Hippo said, you will probably have to fund your own flights and accomodation. PM me if you are interested in the Middle East.