1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work experience - where to go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Sorry to put this on personal but I thought it might get more responses than elsewhere. My son wants to do his work experience with the police but he won't be sixteen so he can't. What else could he do that might have some relationship to the police, but that he could do aged fifteen? His school haven't come up with any suggestions and I'm blowed if I can think of any!

Many thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There's nothing really like the police that isn't, is there?

My suggestions:

Could he work with store detectives in a large department store with CCTV etc?

What about council enforcement officers? There's various types of enforcement officers - so one of these might take him.

If you're close to a train station, do the Transport Police allow them to do work experience at 15?

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Brilliant suggestions. Thank you. You obviously think much more laterally than I do!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Happy to share ideas! :) Didn't have a reply box to type into on the other Personal forum. :( Too late to worry now.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Bailiffs!!!

Highways Agency.

Can't he sit with the civilians who man the call centre?

Sorry, can't better marlin's ideas.