1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work Experience for Deaf and Autistic pupil

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by rsutton7, Sep 13, 2017.

1. rsutton7

rsutton7 New commenter

I work in a School for profoundly Deaf pupils in Birmingham and we are really struggling to find a one day a week work placement for a 15year old pupil. This particular pupil is a profoundly Deaf BSL user, is on the autistic spectrum and has certain behavioural difficulties, however he is also a very willing and capable young man just looking for an opportunity to gain some experience in the world of work. Does anyone know of any establishments/businesses/organisations in Birmingham/Walsall/Sandwell that might be able to help?

Ryan Sutton
    Braidwood Trust School for the Deaf
    Birmingham

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hello Ryan

I wanted to try and help you with this, but live quite far away from Birmingham...however I know a lot of people who live closer, so I hope you do not mind but I copied your request onto my facebook and I've had lots of replies.

Rather than me try and paraphrase them all, why don't you pop across to it and then maybe you can chat directly to the people making suggestions.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink....otif_t=feed_comment&notif_id=1505297383205824

Happy to accept you as a friend if you send me a request.

Best wishes
    Jo Grace

3. rolls

rolls New commenter

You have told us about his problems but not his interests and talents. This might help people make suggestions.

4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

What is he interested in? I've had a deaf student with autism working in a restaurant and another deaf student working in a fish and aquarium supplies shop. Ask him what he would like to try and try to accommodate him. Approaching it as "where would take him?" isn't going to work meaningfully for anyone.