1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work Experience Coordinator

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Clarys, May 31, 2011.

1. I'm no expert but if you're in charge of careers then it stands to reason that you should be expected to be involved in coordinating work experience. It may have been done by someone else in the past but budget cuts and changes dictate change in roles as suitably expected.
    That said, if you don't ask you don't get! Ask your HT, the worst he/she can say is no!
    Tip re WE coordination: Encourage the students to organise their own ;) - Esp in your first couple of years of doing the coordination, that way you can build a knowledge of local companies who are likely to be involved in your WE programme AND it gives the students chance to get out there and find a job for themselves, which will make them more likely work at it ;).

2. Set up a table on parents evening and get the parents involved at that stage - it should knock off a few from the list and then you have more time for the others. You can also give out a list of current contacts at the evening and hope for the best!

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

In our school WE is done by a non-teacher and it's pretty much a full time job! I agree with the self placement idea. My Y10s are about to go out on the next couple of weeks (yippee) and they had their forms given out at the endof y9, the earliest ever, they have been nagged to death to get them in and the more than ever before have managed to find themselves a placement