1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

work baskets in year 2

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by loulou12, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Hi, i have moved from year 1 to year 2 and am trying to compose a weekly timetable for a boy who has recently been assessed with having Autism, ive managed to adapt my weekly planning, but have been advised to do some work baskets that he an use independently or with an adult - he is fairly able but can not concentrate fro long, i was wondering what other people do. I was going to have a basket with number cards and objects in, and encourage him to match the amount of objects to the number, also a basket with games, but I am really stuck.

any help would be really appreciated

Thanks xx

2. asdteacher73

asdteacher73 New commenter

Hi. If you google 'TEACCH tasks' or 'structured teaching autism' you will find loads of ideas. Pinterest is also a great place to look. Fine motor tasks are good for work boxes too - pencil control, threading, peg boards, unifix cube patterns, cutting skills. I have lots of file folder activities (google that too) which are great for more able children, e.g. matching answers to calculations, matching shapes to their names, or words to pictures. Work tasks should really be for independent work, you just teach them how to do the task first. Once they've picked up the way it works, I find that as long as the task is structured, I can put pretty much anything in and the child can immediately see what they have to do. Just make sure that tasks are 'ready to go' (all pieces unassembled, all resources present) and have a clear ending. A pile of Lego in a work box is not a structured task, but using Lego to copy a photo of a model is. And also make sure that the child knows he has to put the finished tasks somewhere specific (either back in the drawer, on a specific shelf or in a 'finished' box and not pull them all apart again, otherwise you won't be able to asses what he's done.

3. What level is the child working at? Task Galore is a great book with lots of TEACCH tasks, a bit pricey but useful if you have children working within P'levels. Their website has some ideas too.