1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work and health

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 07019, Nov 16, 2017.

1. 07019

07019 New commenter

Hi!
    I'm a first year NQT currently working on supply but I'm wondering whether I will ever get a full time post. For the past 5 years I have to go to the hospital for injections every two weeks. I would need this time off from a full time post in order to keep me well enough to teach. These have changed my life and made me the person I am today! I was just wondering if I went for a post would I have to declare this upfront in my application. I'm worried incase I get lots of rejections because I need this time off. Any help or suggestions on what to do would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I would be looking into the possibility of arranging the injections during late afternoon or early morning as a first option but of course this might not be possible. Alternative treatment might also be possible if you start asking the question but of course it might not. I think if there is absolutely no option then I think it would be necessary to let an employer know but at what stage I'm not sure. If you've joined a union ask them for the legal position and for advice. I'm thinking that there might be some legal protection for you but if it was going to take you away for perhaps half a day every two weeks it is hard on the school and perhaps you should look for part time.

3. 07019

07019 New commenter

Hi,
    I have tried arranging them but as with most hospital things there are only so much they can do as they are tied to clinic times etc. The injections aren't licenced to be given in my GP surgery otherwise it would cut the time out I needed in half. I have spoken to my consultant it looks like I will be on them for the foreseeable future. I didn't think about contacting my union, thanks for that I'm sure they could help too. Thanks