1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work 0.4 and childcare

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by gadgetgirl123, May 18, 2016.

1. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

I am very grateful the school is allowing me to do just two days a week. I do enjoy my job (mostly) and have actually really appreciated the sanity two days away from my kids has given me!

I have done the calculations, and not including petrol, my earnings are MINUS £15 a week!

It is not forever though.

The government want us to work and contribute to society, but anyone with two kids under three need to be earning well above the national minimum to afford to work!

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Could you move nearer to family-as you say, unless you get paid childcare (as some people on low incomes do) or free, it's very difficult.

3. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

I would LOVE to move nearer my family, but that would involve hubby quitting his job and moving away from his family, so never going to happen unfortunately!

Parents can't move here either as they live near my brother and his two kids, so help him out, as well as helping my elderly grandparents!