1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wordsearch puzzles

Discussion in 'Geography' started by tomduncan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Do you find subject related wordsearch puzzles useful? Which age groups?

Do you find them easy to create or find online?

For printables in general, do you prefer bright and colorful, or plain b&w to save printing costs?

(Sorry for all the questions, I just found a very old bit of software for creating these puzzles, I'm wondering whether it is worth getting it working again).

2. Do you find subject related wordsearch puzzles useful? Which age groups?

Do you find them easy to create or find online?

For printables in general, do you prefer bright and colorful, or plain b&w to save printing costs?

(Sorry for all the questions, I just found a very old bit of software for creating these puzzles, I'm wondering whether it is worth getting it working again).

3. I only really use them at the start of a lesson when it is one of those periods when pupils enter in dribs and drabs from all ends of campus, or at the end of a term. I do think that my pupils enjoy them, but I prefer to give them crosswords (made using Eclipse crossword). I tend to make the word searches on a word document and then double up two to a page in black and white to save photocopying. They only take 10mins or so to create which is, in my opinion, reasonable. The girls like using colours or highlighters, so black and white is fine!

I only make small word searches with 10-15 words. I think that a big one would merit software help, if the software is free!

4. No. I may be wrong but I simply don't see what they're learning by doing a wordsearch. I know they're seeing the vocabulary but I'd rather spend the lesson time doing a more useful activity.

5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I've found a website that can create cloze passages using the key words. Makes a handy starter for less able groups to calm them and get them to understand which words are important. Use sparingly.