1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Words of Wisdom!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by purity23, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!

After teaching for two years in Year 3 I have just found out that I am in Reception next year which I am so excited about! I just wondered if any of you experienced teachers out there could give me any advice or words of wisdom, is there anything that you know now that you wish you had done in your first year of teaching Reception?
    I would be extremely grateful for any comments!

Thank you :)

2. Looks like there is a lot in the same boat! Im moving from year3/4 to reception! Its the only class ive taught in since qualifying 5 years ago!!! eeek!

3. Hi everyone
    I'm so glad you are all looking forward to moving to reception. Here are my top tips:
    1. Don't try to do too much in the first half term. Just get to know the children and set the boundaries - this will pay off later.
    2. Ensure your expectations are developmentally appropriate but keep on raising the bar.
    3. Be well prepared but also be prepared to drop everything and change direction.
    4. Use your initiative and be creative.
    5. Relax, be yourself and enjoy it - then they will too!

Good luck.

4. I think these are great tips - many thanks. I am just going to do exactly what you say and take it slowly!