1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Words of wisdom please.....

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lelseydramaqueen, Mar 22, 2012.

1. hello all
    I am in the process of a long and acrimonious break up. It has me questioning myself and my motives all the time.
    My problem is that I am very switched off at work. I cannot seem to rally any entusiasm and I'm worried that it will really affect my pupils. they need me the most at the moment as it's practical exam time, but all I want to do is be by myself.
    Im not depressed ( trust me...I'm not!) just really, really hacked off.
    So- does anyone have any words of wisdom to cheer me up, or even give me a kick up the back side!

2. hello all
    I am in the process of a long and acrimonious break up. It has me questioning myself and my motives all the time.
    My problem is that I am very switched off at work. I cannot seem to rally any entusiasm and I'm worried that it will really affect my pupils. they need me the most at the moment as it's practical exam time, but all I want to do is be by myself.
    Im not depressed ( trust me...I'm not!) just really, really hacked off.
    So- does anyone have any words of wisdom to cheer me up, or even give me a kick up the back side!

3. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Speaking as someone who IS depressed try and take simple pleasures in the small things in life like the birds singing and the sun shining.

Every day do something, however trivial just for yourself.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Lesley, these bad times will pass and you will regain your old enthusiasm! I too fudge, have been diagnosed with depression (recently) and also have practical exams which I am sick of practising with kids BUT I try to smile at, and with, them - and with the end in sight I think I'll cope.
    Little nice things is the way to go and plan that NOW!!
    Take care.

5. Thank you. I have been depressed in the past. Luckily not for a few years now. I know what it's like and I'm not depressed now. I am fed up. I am worried about my pupils. I just wondered how to stop transferring my bad mood onto them?!
    Re - reading what I have said actually makes me cringe! I just need to get on with it.

I am sorry to hear you are depressed. I was ill for quite a while and it can be very despairing. I hope you feel better soon. x

6. Sorry to hear that Joni
    Hope you remember to be kind to yourself. that was the single best piece of advice I was given when I was ill. It's still written on my fridge. Although someone has rubbed the S off and it now says ' be kind to your elf' [​IMG]

7. Ummm - thought I had replied to this joni?

8. Ah - i see..... time delay....is it G & T time yet?

9. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Been sent home today. Have tears streaming down my cheeks and my students have no faith in me which further makes me feel ****

10. Who sent you home?
    have you seen a doctor? How do you know the students have no faith in you?
    PLease do not be even harder on yourself. This is an <u>illness</u>. You are not useless. You are <u>ill.</u>
    You will get well.

11. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Lesley,
    thanks for kind words, I'm sure you are not as bad-moody as you think. Have you tried sniffing some essential oils? I have a wee bottle of clary sage on my desk and a deep sniff of that seems to clear my head and give me a few seconds of peace. Apparently you can get "high" on it if you sniff too much but I've no evidence of that (tried very hard!!) Another oil is geranium (you can take one drop in about 20mls of honey water which tastes lovely if you like it and it's good for your mood - uplifting and calming at the same time) or again just sniff.
    Fudge - I know how you are feeling as that was me 3 weeks ago and after a late night meeting yesterday. You are not useless but need something to help you recover - if it's time off then take it
    Take care
    Joni xx

12. Hmmm...apart from the break up part, you're sounding like me.
    Funny that, considering...
    Sorry to hear about the break up.
    Got no words of wisdom, but you know where I am...I have no answers, but I might be able to help...you've just got to ask.

13. Awww Sel....you know i love you! Soz about forgetting to tell you about the seniors! Alzheimers.
    Anyway - will catch up today nae doobt.

Joni - Im going to try both of those and take bets on how long it takes before a pupil tells their parents that I am sniffin drugs at school!