1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Words of Wisdom for someone intending to register for supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MsJ001, Feb 14, 2016.

1. MsJ001

MsJ001 New commenter

Hi! I am going to hand my notice in, apply for a full time position, but have supply as a back up. In my area ( Central), schools only use supply agencies, certain ones that are contracted to the LEA.

I have an appointment to go and see one this week, just to start the ball rolling re DBS, references etc, just as a safe guard to if I don't find a full time position that I like. I know people that have worked with this certain supply agency, and they have good feedback and work is plentiful in my area.

However, I know they use an Umbrella Company ( from talking to someone who supplies for them), I also know their daily rate is not the best - take home £99 a day, after tax, N.I etc. However, there is no choice in my location but to go with an agency, as I said the LEA actually advertises this particular agency on their web site for supply. For information sake, I have been teaching 10 years regarding the daily rate and I am current on UPS2.

I need your words of wisdom as to how much the daily rate should be, how to negotiate a better rate, how to refuse an Umbrella Company ( if that is all they use) and what other questions I should be asking them when I go and see them.

Thank you in advance.

2. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

"schools only use supply agencies, certain ones that are contracted to the LEA"

Rubbish.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Be very clear that when you give your personal detail to an agency you are not registering for supply. There is no register. Agencies are not statutory bodies. They are an unnecessary intrusion into education, diverting public money into private hands.
    There aren't any pay scales.
    £99 is an insult.
    Agencies are a rip off.
    Umbrella payroll is about to be outlawed.

Please read the pinned posts at the top of the forum for all the answers.

Your LEA is a disgrace if they put business to an agency knowing that half of the money the school pays will not go to you but to some corporate giant .

4. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

You've been teaching 10 years, are on UPS 2, and are being offered £99 a day for your services?

That's insulting.

If you were to work every day for the next year academic year (including the three months of school holidays), your take home would be £17820 annual. You might as well be a TA. No stress. No marking. No behaviour management.

I've been working for an agency who uses an umbrella company and I pay for my agency's national insurance contribution out of every one of my pay cheques. On my payslip, I get to see how the agency charges the school over £200 for each day I work, and take £50 a day away from me... My agency gets £250 a week from MY work. They get £1000 a month... for a phone call. I'm grateful to my agency for finding me work. Without it, I'd be homeless and hungry, BUT I'm more willing to do the work I'm doing because I get a decent-ish daily rate (at least £60 more than your agency is offering you).

There are members of this forum who work for their own Limited Company and take home £240 a day. They're clever. I'd do it if I could but I'm scared to go out on my own. I've given notice with my agency. There has got to be a better solution. So maybe I will try to be my own Ltd company. Idk if I could do it though. :/

Good luck with your work. Sorry to sound all negative noo. It's not that bad. It's nice to get paid, and if you don't think too much about it, the money isn't awful... It's pretty bad though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016