1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Words of encouragement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by donrickles, Jun 17, 2019.

1. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

As a teacher of 24 years I want to contribute. I would like to be concise but start positive.

To all of you in schools, I feel a thick skin is now needed, don’t over worry, it is the system that is utterly broken, not you. Remind yourself that what you do is a craft an value you.

It is now inevitable that you will feel under attack, under valued and that’s hard in a vocation.
    But keep going step at a time. The devils are in the system try to work around them.

I managed 19 years before I utterly broke, I’m still mending but it’s taking time the vase is not the same with cracks, glue and chips missing but it is still as vase and it looks good.

Depression is a often misunderstood area, my experience was of how dangerous an illness it is, I never realised. To the outcome that it very nearly killed me. No job should bring you to that point. So take care don’t get over involved. There is life outside of teaching this job can consume you. If it does watch out, teaching bites!

I if you are strong, dedicated, resilient you are even more at danger than you know, you can’t see it coming. So take your time your contract is 32.5hrs. Work what is realistic not what you feel is demanded because it is not sustainable in the long run.

Regards MrW

2. vectis1

vectis1 New commenter

Wise words.

Thanks for your contribution. We all need to put things into perspective from time to time!

Hope the vase is fixed and solid soon.

3. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

Thank you for your kind words.

4. UpperPayShelf

UpperPayShelf New commenter

I couldn't put it better. I didn't see my breakdown coming. I now feel incredibly ill and wish I had taken heed of the low mood, anxiety and fatigue. I just kept going until I couldn't.

5. Jazztess79

Jazztess79 New commenter

This brought goosebumps, shivers and tears. So powerful. So brave to share. Thank you.