1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Words and Phrases that Deserve New Life

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nick909, Sep 16, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Whilst explaining the meaning of higgledy-piggledy to my class today, it having come up in the novel we're using for English, it occurred to me what a wonderful phrase it is and how poorer the English language is for such phrases falling out of fashion. Kerfuffle was another that struck me similarly.
    So.
    What words and phrases do you think deserve to be brought back into modern parlance?

2. Lickspittle and mountebank.
    Shindig
    Problem

3. Hullabaloo always seems to bemuse the kids whenever I use it. Odd, given their familiarity with it as a practice.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

discombobulated

(I'd also like to see the phrase....'I did it,it was my fault, I'm sorry' come back into fashion! ...my nieces/nephews seem to have a compulsion to deny culpability for everything at the moment - even when they're caught red-handed!)

5. Responsibilities - a word that is not in the vocabulary of many individuals.

6. Discotheque....the only place to be on a Friday night.

7. Thanks/Thank You/Please

Yours bitter and twisted,Eggy

8. Thank you, eggy..i'll have a bitter , please. :¬))

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Drink. It's all he ever thinks of....

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Excuse me
    Sorry
    Please

11. And your point is ? :¬))

12. Ha! I agree. My two year old knows how to say 'I'm sorry' and 'please', I don't know why other people can't manage it.
    Anyway - flibbertyjibbet. I love that word and not many people seem to have heard it. Not sure if I spelled it right there...

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Scallywag.
    I had a class that used to ask for 'Mr Buzz the Bee man' by Janet and Alan Ahlberg over and over again because it contained this word.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

To-do
    Rapscallion
    Hoo-ha

15. Strumpet

16. Also, on that theme, harlot.
    And Tosh.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

jiggery pokery

18. I am particularly fond of the verb to bottom (meaning of course to give a thorough clean).
    To mither is also useful and can shift to any part of a sentence as needed e.g. I can't be mithered/It's a mither/Kids have been mithering.

19. oops a daisy when tripping/falling instead of f**kin' hell!

20. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Once used the expression, 'I have a headache - not bad, but it's mithering' and the person I was speaking to had no idea what I was talking about.
    Think it's a word from the midlands - unless you know different eggnchips?