1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wordload of Progress Tutor

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by pwtin, Jun 15, 2017.

1. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Hoping for some advice, I have an interview for a Progress Tutor post in a 6th Form College shortly. Just wondering about the workload as the salary is between 15k and 17k full time.
    Given that it will be less than half the wage of a qualified teacher (which I am) would I end up with a similar workload, evenings and weekends and poor work life balance?

2. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

That salary seems low for a teaching position.

What is the job description for a Progress Tutor? It sounds more like a 'group tutor' or 'personal tutor' or 'form tutor' type role that is looking after the pastoral care of the students. If that is the case you wouldn't have much workload to take home but you would be responsible for a large number of students.

3. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Thank you , the salary I quoted is pro rata, so just over 20k full time. I think it is probably a similar role to a Learning Mentor - to support, monitor and provide the necessary intervention, track academic achievement , deliver tutorial programme to. Yes, lots of students, seems quite comprehensive role , writing reports, supporting university applications etc.
    Only just received an invitation to interview very late this afternoon, Thurs and need to be at the interview first thing Tues. Considering as far as they know I would have to ask my employer for a day off wouldn't you consider this very short notice?

4. Babbit_Resources

Babbit_Resources New commenter

I think it will be what you allow it to be. Be strict about only working your contracted hours and claim back any time you do extra. Given that you're a qualified teacher, I think it would be easy to end up taking on more that you should. You'll probably be referred the students that are at risk of failing, which is fine, but you shouldn't be a replacement 'teacher'. Their teacher should still provide any catch up work they need to do. You're really just there to keep them on track and to provide support. Having managed progress coaches and teachers in the past, I've seen teachers try and pass the responsibility for difficult students to the coach. Just be clear that you are not there to assess work etc but just to support the student to re-engage and achieve. Pass all completed work back to the teacher and make sure there is a clear process for them to send you any materials you need in the future. Hope that makes sense? I think it can be a really rewarding role but you do need to set your stall out - want me to teach? then mat me to teach etc . . .

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

You may well find you get more pay per hour than a teacher

6. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Struggling here as I was only invited to interview late on Thurs. Friday I was working, tomorrow I am collecting my son from uni, Mon I am in work and need to attend interview first thing Tues. Leaving only today to prepare for interview and produce a power point presentation. The subject I am confused about and to make matters worse I have never produced a power point. There is simply not enough time to prepare properly so contemplating withdrawing my application.
    More about the role - to deliver a tutorial programme to 25 groups, agree motivational targets and produce student progress reviews, also be responsible for initiating, monitoring and overseeing the timely completion of students’ university and other progression applications. Specifically responsible for writing university references for all the students etc.

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

How frequently would you see these 25 groups? At least you would only have to prepare one or two tutorial sessions per week, and just repeat them, but that might take some planning and organising if the content is all about careers and uni. No marking (yey!), but lots of admin. How many students are there?

You don't sound like you really want the job, or are you just feeling a little overwhelmed? If you don't think it's right for you, or it's causing stress, I'd say cancel the interview.

8. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Thanks for replying and yes it is causing me both.
    I am struggling to teach myself power point and cant come to grips with how they want me to approach the topic. I know I will not be confident delivering the topic and out of my depth with the probable line of questions relating to it as I am so unsure.
    No idea how many times I will see tutorial groups, if it was once a week there would be little time for anything else?
    I am of an age where I feel I should be so grateful to be even getting an interview that I would be a fool to cancel and that is part of the reason I struggle with technology. Even though I now feel that the role is not exactly a fit for me. The thought of having to deliver the same tutorial possibly over 20 times would bore the life out of me and brings back memories of attempting to teach PSHE to disengaged teenagers.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

don't cancel, go along for the experience. Feedback from this interview might help you with other interviews. If you get there and decide you don't want the job, you don't have to accept it.

10. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

I think you're being ripped off. If I was paid between 15-17K, I wouldn't kill myself in the role (an apt metaphor?).

11. tardis

tardis New commenter

I have sent you a private conversation please get back to me