1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Word Processing French Controlled Assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by CAROLINE29171, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Does anyone know if you can word process the Writing Controlled assessment at GCSE level? I know that students with SPLD are able to do this but I have a vague recollection of attending an OCR meeting in London where the speaker said all students were entitled to do this al long as the wifi and spell check was de-activated. If it is possible, does anyone have a document handy that supports this option as I am unable to find anything and have received conflicting advice from 3 OCR people on the phone.

Thanks a milliion

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I cannot answer your question, I'm afraid, but I have to say that i would discourage any student from word-processing (unless they have a special need). They would almost certainly make more mistakes.

3. Yes, it appears to be allowed.

The following is on page 23 of the spec...

Candidates must not have access to:

?

Previous drafts of the task

?

Online resources: foreign language grammar and spell checkers, electronic translations,

online web pages that could provide ready-made phrases for the task.

Note:

Candidates can word process their tasks but the above restrictions about online resources

must apply.

www.ocr.org.uk/.../82161-specification.pdf

I agree with spsmith that candidates usually make more mistakes when word processing. Personally, I wouldn't allow it, unless handwriting is totally illegible.

4. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Why do you want your students to word process their CAs ? I have only allowed it in the past when the hand writing was so awful I let the student word process his work after hand writing the task and sent off both copies, so the examiner could at least read what the student was trying to write . I think I have only done this once . When word processing French, for a display for example , many of my pupils used to make a ton of mistakes, they did not see the errors ! I suppose if they were doing a formal type letter re a complaint, or job application ,word processing the task would be appropriate .

5. I rang Edexcel three weeks ago to ask the same question and their

answer was yes as long as the PCs have no spell check, etc..Quite a few of my students use laptops in class so for them it is the way they always "write" in French. 5/20 used a pc for this CA. They did ok. But yes, they did make a few typos + It was quite a bit of work for our IT technician to modify the specs of the PCs but by the end of the year we should be real pros at it!