1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Word of the Week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi,

I want to have a Word of the Week so that children are learning new vocabulary that can be included in their writing, but words that are not completely alien to them or have scope to be applied.

Does anyone have a list of words that they have used or somewhere I can find them. It is for Year 2 by the way.

Thanks in advance

2. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

We have a word of the week and I have found that it works really well but I wouldn't want to use a standard list.
    We use words related to our topic, so have had glimmering related to treasure for our pirate topic, we have words which arise in our story, or words which the children bring in from home, startled was a fab one which one of my Year R boys brought it and used correctly when he explained it to us; we have regularly been startled ever since! Making them more relevant means that the children are more likely to use and remember them. hth.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, it's best to use words which children themselves find or others which crop up naturally in topic work.

4. Thank you for your advice, I shall go down that route and also take suggestions from the children. Much appreciated.