1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worcester Uni PGCE starting 2012??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by charlotterobinson1, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hello!

Anyone applied to do the PGCE primary starting sept 2012? I've just had my letter to say I have an interview 19th Jan (very chuffed!!) and wondered if anyone else had had their interview yet? After reading loads of posts on here i'm pretty sure I get the gist of the day...little concerned about the ESS as my degree was in Sociology and my A levels are not NC subjects!! Anyone else worried about this?

Charlotte x x

2. Hello!

Anyone applied to do the PGCE primary starting sept 2012? I've just had my letter to say I have an interview 19th Jan (very chuffed!!) and wondered if anyone else had had their interview yet? After reading loads of posts on here i'm pretty sure I get the gist of the day...little concerned about the ESS as my degree was in Sociology and my A levels are not NC subjects!! Anyone else worried about this?

Charlotte x x

3. You're lucky getting a lot of notice, I had my interview in November with six days notice! Just make sure you know about current issues in primary education. Make sure you prepare well for the essay part of the process, too. Good luck!

4. Hello Charlotte

I also had a letter yesterday inviting me for an interview in January, soo nervous!! I am a little concerned about the ESS bit as well as my degree is in Tourism Management.

Claire xx

5. I know very lucky I would have been terrified if i'd only had 6 days notice!! Am doing as much cramming as possible for all of the parts of the interview process just mega concerned about this ESS!! Thank you :) did you get an offer? xx

6. Hi Claire :) Well done on the interview! Do you have any idea what you will be doing for the ESS? I'm assuming as there is at least 2 of us who have interviews who don't haven't done an under grad in a nc subject that it isn't going to make or break their decision to offer us a place? Maybe i'm being optimistic! What dates your interview for?X

7. I got an offer 20 days after my interview, that was a very anxious wait! I've chosen Maths as my ESS but then I've got an A levels in Maths, Chem and Biol and a BSc in science based subject. Sorry I'm no help with the ESS part for you. There might be an opportunity to discuss it with them at your interview when you hand your statement in.

8. Hi Charlotte

Thank you and well down to you as well!! My interview is on Thursday 12th January, shame we are not on the same day. I have decided to pick Geography for my ESS as it is the closest thing to anything on the list really!! I have no idea where to start with it though, have you got any ideas?

Claire x

9. I have an interview on the 19th. So I am on the same day as one of you on this thread.
    I have done my ESS statement. I am choosing Outdoor Learning, and in my statement I have spoken about my experience in this field, activity sessions I can run, and skills/attributes. Basically giving information about expertise in the subject I have chose.

I have figured out what I am doing for my presentation and it should be awsome.

I am worried however about the english part though if anyone can offer any advice. The essay about systematic synthetic phonics... any advice on what I should be planning.

Quite scared about the actual interview as well, as you never know what questions they throw at you.... again any advice would be great. Anyone want to PM me to share advice please do so....

10. Thanks for that Charlotte, that thread looks very helpful. I have made a start on it but wanted to know i am on the right lines!! Thanks again

Claire xx

11. thanks again :) x

12. Hi!

My interview is the 19th too :) Funny we are opposite i'm worried about this ESS bit but the other bits i'm feeling okay about. As far as the english question goes i'm pretty sure the whole point is to assess your grammar and spelling - if you google the Rose report there is loads of information about it online, i've printed off some journal articles I have found to get my head around it.

The advice i've been given about the interview is to make sure you are up on your current educational issues i.e. academy
    status, OFSTED, pensions. Most importantly show them how much you want to teach and link what you say to your experiences :) i'm sure you will be absolutely fine!!

xx

13. Hi thought i'd join in!! I have an interview on the 19th too, and currently stressing (as all i'm sure). I'm a mature student so whilst been in the field I'm out of practice with the written work - so trying to study on the Rose report. I'm unsure if I will remember everything I want to put in. It's easy with a computer infront of you and several days - but a pen and paper and an hour and a half...!
    Also, I'm unsure how deep to go with the presentation...any help appreciated!

14. I wrote and re-wrote mine, in draft form, on paper quite a few times as you only have paper and it's written by hand on the day. I had 25 minutes to write my essay on the day, have you got longer?
    Re the presentation it depends what the subject is, and remember you've only got 5 to 10 mins to present it.

15. Sorry - yes I ment 25 mins (the written tasks are over 1 1/2 hours, so thats with the maths aswell!!) I think from what's been said mine mirrors others day exactly. I'm so rubbish at remembering things so will try and whittle down to some bullet points to remember. I'm guessing this exercise is about handwritting, grammar, spelling etc. I dont think I've written anything in freehand in the last 10years (I'm 41...so it's a while since I did my degree :eek:) I'll have to pinch my daughters rub out handwritting pen !!!! he he!
    I guess the presentation is about the ability to stand up infront of adults and command the talk...

16. Hi! Oh I have been so busy working and then preparing for interview on top of that I haven't had chance to look at this post again! Shame because would have been nice to have a quick chat before the interview tomorrow! Are you all ready now? I think i've got as much as I can done now! I did the same as someone else here, wrote up an answer on the computer to the question and tried to learn it as best I can - getting my head round SSP and the SVR was not an easy task!

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow and good luck!!

Charlotte x x