1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woolie and confusing Feedback leaving me unsure of how to improve, feelig low and down.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Spice0012, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

HI
    I have just last week completed two interviews on skype for two very different international schools. Sadly I didn't get either which has really dissapointed me as I put my heart and sole into the interview. The feedback that i recieved I found to be confusing and rather 'woolie' all praised me upon my enthusiasm, creativity, bubbly personality but stated that
    ...... " due to the quality and quantity of the applications we received we are unable to offer you a post"
    I am an expereinced teacher with over 8 years primary expereince, young and eager, but now feel lost and unsure of how to improve on my interview techniques. I have emailed both schools back and asked for feedback, but still awaiting response.
    I have another interview vis skype this week and I really like this school and would like a chance at gaining this post, some how I need to stand out and be remembered but not quiet sure what I am missing. [​IMG]Please if anyone could offer some advice this would be most helpful.
    Thank you

2. v12

v12

Is it possible that your Skype interviews were actually very good, and it was your applications themselves which weren't as good as others they had received?

3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Geberally ignore the feedback, it is either there to let you down gently, or give validity to a subjective decission to appoint someone else.
    Yor application was fine, it got you the interview. There may have been a fault at your interview but maybe not. Do a mock interview with an honest friend, get them to look out for tells of nervousness, etc. Predict and prepare questions that you may be asked.
    I was told I came a close second at an interview I had last year. Was told that the winning candidate had more A level experience than me. Best feedback I ever got.

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I know exactly how you feel! I have recently had an interview for an international school in Beijing. I had to fly from Italy to London, pay for transport costs in London plus a hotel room overnight and 2 days from school. The interview was fantastic and positive however I didn't get offered the job. Their excuse was too much experience for a mainscale teacher position and I would be better placed in a leadership position.
    Go figure!

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Talc makes a couple of good points. 'Feedback' is often worthless. I can confidently state that I came second for every job I didn't get. Yes, your application got you the interview so it must essentially be good one. However you can probably still improve it. Your spelling, for example, needs care, e.g:
    Disappointed
    Received
    Woolly
    Experienced
    You are clearly 'almost there'. Try not to be over anxious.

6. But he did put his 'heart and flatfish' into the interview.

7. Don't be be disheartened. As you are getting to the interview stage you must be a strong candidate, so look at that as a positive achievement. You really can never quite tell what an international school wants: it could be international experience; recent UK teaching; the ability to offer a particular 2nd or extra-curricular subject or, it could be that another candidate had some other unique selling point. Chin up: keep smiling and don't give up.

8. v12

v12

What I said - only without saying it!

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

You are clearly a person of finer sensibilities than I. When I see a spade I call it a bloody shovel.

10. The issue of feedback is interesting. When I was interviewed for posts which I didnt get I was always grateful for some feedback - sometimes it was useful , sometimes not. Now , I always try to give constructive feedback, but in reality it often comes down to a ´best fit´scenario and it is not always easy to expand too much upon that.When schools recruit, particulalry International schools, they normally looking to fill more than 1 post at a time and the balance of appointees is an unknown factor right up until the last moment. This can have an influence on the final decision - a sort of domino effect. I have often wished that I had more than 1 post to offer when candidates are so closely matched, but in the end a decision has to be made and the reasons for that decision are not always conducive to meaningful feedback. However, when taking into account the application letter/form/CV as well as the interview there should always be some useful advice which can be given to applicants. It is only right given the time most people put into applying for a post in the first place.

11. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

As above really.
    Application - check, it got you the interview
    Inteview - check, you knew you ad done well
    Feedback often worthless and I wish those involved would take their role seriously BUT I'm sure many struggle to give such advce in a positive way as fundamentally there is something lacking. I'd guess also that there is little difference between candidates by the time you get to this level and many may not be able to expain why a got the post over b. Gut feeling maybe. I'd plump for the one who seems more confident/capable and more importantly the one I think I'd get along with better and who would fit into my team. It could be another candidate is slightly cheaper to employ, maybe they offer something like a swimming qualification or can play the piano as that is always useful to have around. Just oe of those things.
    P.s. I got the same feedback last summer from a head tecaher after an interview for a post they'd been desperate to interview me for and one in which the HR guy admitted there were few interested candidates. When I kindly replied stating these points the head apologised: standard email to candidates.