1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woolen or cotton socks for winter?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WaylonWu, Oct 22, 2015.

?

Socks for cold feet in the winter - wool or cotton?

1. Wool

37.5%
  2. Cotton

62.5%
  1. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

For those of us who with with cold feet in the winter the answer might seem obvious. But although wool seems the best option for cold months I always find them less comfortable to wear. I think it's the seams. They seem a lot thicker than cotton seams and tend to pinch the smaller toes after a long walk. Maybe the answer is wool with cotton seams?

Vote now. And please remember - the choice is wool or cotton only.

2. WaylonWu

I've had to put warmth above comfort. Reluctantly.

3. WaylonWu

On the other hand, those of you with sweaty feet might choose cotton because they absorb sweat more efficiently than cotton.

4. WaylonWu

I've heard a wool cotton combination sometimes works.

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Wool makes me sneeze!

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

[​IMG]

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Bamboo. It's softer and more heat efficient.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I thought it was socks we were talking about, not gloves

Duke of York likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And I thought it was combinations. WaylonWu and Vladimir are a good combination, always to be seen together and chatting to each other. Sometimes they are so in accord one can hardly tell them apart.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

identical socks, a matching pair :)

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Fun though, like novelty socks
    [​IMG]

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Cotton socks in thermally padded footwear.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Cashmere socks are good . . .but I generally just go for cotton all year round, as I have feet with their own inbuilt furnace

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I find wool socks itchy. I have thick fleece socks for winter!

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Cashmere definitely or those slipper sock thingies or Wellington socks.. My feet are nearly always cold.

16. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I knit socks which are 75% wool and they are quite toasty.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Take an ex-homeless person's tip: there's no low cost insulation like old newspaper. Toasty!

18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Loads of kids at my Primary School had newspaper "insoles". We really weren't all that poor. Just thrifty, and recycling in a 21st century kinda way.

19. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Yes, we do get on well, just like you get on well with grumpydogwoman, kibosh and a dozen others. So, assuming your comment was intended to hint at the idea that we are the same person (just going out on a limb here, you understand - perhaps you meant something else), using your logic, you, gdw, kibosh and that dozen others must, by definition, again using your logic, be one-and-the-same person.

I'd even go so far as to say you've missed a trick, because one of my languages is Mandarin Chinese. You could have tried to make a connection there, too! Pity you don't post on MFL or you'd have known that. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Waylon Wu post on MFL! Shock! Horror! Halloween! Whatever could that mean? And on it goes...

It's all rather fun, isn't it?

20. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

I'm lucky that I don't get cold feet so I would always choose cotton. I see the poll shows most people would too. The most I would go for in the winter is a polyester combo.