1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wool

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

When I was young, my grandmorher ans aunt used to trawl through jumble sales for woolwn knitted clothes. They took them home, washed them and then used my arms to turn them into usable balls.

Most of the lovely cardies and jumpers I wore as a child were made from recycled wool.

WB and needabreak like this.
  2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I used to do this, too. Though I don’t think I went to the high class jumble sales as the wool choices were not very inspiring :(

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When I was working, I went with a group of like minded people to the Knitting and Stitching shows at Ally Pally and Olympia. You could buy packages of yarn much more cheaply. Which is why I now have a massive five drawer chest and the tops of two double wardrobes filled with it. Unfortunately, it hasn’t really stopped me buying more.

freckle06, Dragonlady30 and knitone like this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I do mean actual wool, not man-made alteratives.

5. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I remember my mum recycling in this way too and using my arms. Happy times.

nizebaby likes this.
  6. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

And the wool always ended up crinkly after it had been unravelled

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Really? I had some lovely uncrinkly jumpers. Re-using wool was the norm back then.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My mum wasn't a keen knitter. I remember being quite small, 6 or 7 and she started knitting me a jumper, a couple of years later when it was finished I had grown out of it.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A man went to the Antiques Roadshow, broadcast last night, with the objects that his father crafted as a prisoner of war in Germany over a nearly 6 year period. They were mainly objects that he carved but one was a jumper that he knitted by salvaging the wool from socks and other items. He made wooden knitting needles and taught himself to knit. He then wore the jumper in the camp and for years afterwards when doing gardening etc. It was still in one piece.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The re-knitted garment would not be crinkly. The unravelled wool would still hold the curves of the loops that it had been held in for some time though, until pulled into new shapes .

knitone likes this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've just received a parcel of 'wool' that I intend to start using tonight to make cowls, with a Celtic knit detail, for presents.

freckle06 likes this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Jubilee, is it not really wool?

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My mother had (and frequently used) one of these.

[​IMG]

Blowed if I can remember wearing anything produced by it, though.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Merino, bamboo, silk, alpaca.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is a shame that the market for wool used in clothing is so reduced. Thw sheep industry is very important here in Wales producing some very fine lamb that is yummy and grass fed and overwinters pretty much on the hills (veggies look away), but the fleeces are worth FA. All wool clothes I have bought are very difficult to keep nice, they seem to go baggy when washed. My mother and one granny were knitters.

Norsemaid and border_walker like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My mother had four of them. All different and for different purposes. The last one she bought was computer-controlled and motor-driven.

Regarding the business of unpicking jumpers and holding the skeins on outstretched arms while the wool was wound into balls, she bought herself one of these.

upload_2019-10-21_15-51-26.jpeg

I made a device to go with it to hold the skeins, as a school woodwork project.

By the time she died, her family comprised her 5 children, 5 daughters in law and 11 grandchilren, each of which she made a jumper as a birthday present and another as a christmas present.

Occasionally she'd knit something for herself or her husband as well.

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Crumbs!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one :oops:

We are preparing to move house and I was gobsmacked by the amount of balls of wool I found this morning. :oops:

freckle06 and knitone like this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If you ever want to get rid of wool, throw it my way.
    When I can get enough wool I knit blankets, hats, etc for assorted charities, but it's hard to get cheap / free wool, even scraps.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's 100% Acrylic but feels like wool

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

@Dragonlady30, when we moved, there were six enormous bin bags that I filled with yarn.
    I knit for the local hospital. There are currently four pram blankets, four hats and three cardigans ready to go. Some of it is sold in their shop. It doesn’t seem to diminish though, because I keep seeing other stuff I like.