1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woohoo!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by pussycat, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Have been offered (and accepted!) a job in a wonderful indie school this week - I start after Easter. I cannot wait! I expect something of a change in culture after my many years in the state sector - can anyone offer me any thoughts on how different I may find it and how to be successful?

2. Fantastic news! Well done.
    I used to work in independent and desperately wanting to get back in. Keep telling myself I will have to be prepared to move in order to get the school and the position.
    You will find the organisation of the school different to state and probably the ethos/atmosphere - it depends on the school of course. I loved the overwhelmingly caring and welcoming nature when I worked in the sector. It's like having an extended family.
    As for being successful, work hard, enjoy it, and get involved in all aspects. It's so rewarding to be a part of the additional things on offer. I learnt new skills literally every day (and some from the students).

3. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Thanks ele1. I do get the feeling that it is very much a family atmosphere at the school which I think that I shall love. I think that there is a huge amount going on there and I really want to take advantage of that and build on my skills. Can't wait!

4. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Best of luck too for that perfect job to appear within commutable distance for you this year!