1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woodhouse Grove Religious Education Conference

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jul 2, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hi Guys

I went to the Religious Education Conference at Woodhouse Grove School near Leeds last Thursday (30th June) and it was really brill. I have the permission from Lat Blaylock and others who gave workshops to share some of what we did here. It will take a while as there was so much, and I am quite busy at the moment, including going camping for three days starting tomorrow with our College Duke of Edinburgh students, but as and when I can I will share some of the great strategies idea and insights that I learned from this event.

The first is another resource I have just added to the one on using shoes as a theme. 'Another way of using Shoes for engagement and reflection' This links with the topic of Holocaust or Genocide.

2. durgamata

sorry to forget the codes that make paragraphing appear.

This is the resource link I was referring to above -

My shared resource Updated this week (edit, delete)

shoe project/spiritual journey/Shoe box sharing

Guide

Viewed 33 times

3. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

My mentor did the shoe/Holocaust activity when I was on my PGCE. It was VERY effective. She used it as an introductory lesson to the Holocaust.

4. durgamata

Yes, it is a very powerful exercise.

I emailed Stephen to clarify a few details on my report of this exercise and he has asked me not to make it available here as it is copyright. I feel sad because I just want to see all my lovely colleagues with all the tools possible to teach inspiring and engaging lessons, but I do understand and respect Stephen's position too.

I have cut out the detail of his activity and referred people to the website and web shop where they can buy his books. The one relating to this exercise is -

Questions: Jewish People

Stephen Pett
    ISBN: 9781905893522Published: 01 April 2011Format: PaperbackPages: 32£9.50

Description

Questions: Jewish People offers practical resources for teaching Judaism as a vibrant, living faith in Britain today. Interviews with Jewish teenagers explore a range of ways of being Jewish, and strategies for interpreting texts are applied to some key Jewish teachings. Some Jewish responses to current ethical issues are examined, with a range of ideas for handling discussion better in the classroom. An enquiry model is offered as a basis for a day conference reflecting on what we can learn from Jewish responses to the Holocaust. Original contemporary sources and a wealth of photocopiable classroom material make this an invaluable classroom resource to enhance your teaching of Judaism

I do recommend this book. If anyone would like to know more about the RE conference, please send me a PM and in the mean time I am checking back with Stephen and Lat to see if they are happy for me to write an outline/review as I have now done for the Shoes activity - so that I am supporting their work and encouraging teachers to go to their website for more details.

It is so important to support each other and give each other respect. I am sorry for stepping out of line on this one - but still happy that some people were able to download something which will be a powerful tool to use in teaching. I wish that paying the bills and covering costs did not have to cripple our basic spiritual instincts to share what is good and inspiring freely. But that is the world we live in.