1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woo how. We are rich! RICH! It’s great to be in education now.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jun 14, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Jamvic, BetterNow, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  2. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

As a real perk I get free broken biros and lots of scrap paper!! Who needs a salary when you are working with very inspiring young people. I get long holidays and finish work at 3pm!! Regular inspiring INSET days ensure that I a paid with high quality CPD!! At the end of each academic year I get hundreds of pounds of tax free gifts to thank me for my teaching!! All these perks. Who needs a 30K salary. I interned to save my 30K so I can retire at 26. No need for 50+ teachers when the pay allows you to retire so early.

3. haharr

haharr New commenter

The only resistance is to leave, if you still can. It's the only language they will understand. unless there is a radical change of government they will run the corporate rump of the system with graduates and trainees whilst reserving the rewards for the few managers they can buy off to ruthlessly maintain profits going to the top. what a wonderful world this could be.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Perhaps 'File on 4', or some other such investigative journalism programme should take a look.......

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Assuming the letters 1,2 and 3 are sent to name and shame the 'guilty' why did they not impose a pay structure / scheme that ensures they are prosecuted if they ignore it rather than an airy fairy guideline ?

6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I worked for a HT in an affluent part of the North West (Ormskirk way) who banned all end of year gifts from parents. IIRC something about ‘bribery’ and ‘we’re not in the job for material gain’.

She was generally regarded as a miserable frat and this just meant that some of the staff quietly withdrew any goodwill and didn’t bother going the extra inch, let alone mile.

I still struggle to see how a collection of ‘My Best Teacher’ mugs gained over a couple of decades can be seen as material gain.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I would be more interested to see what EFTA or the DFE are going to do if they just keep ignoring the letters.
    They have created this monster but can they tame it, after all this is public money going into the pockets of people who do not teach and often do not have a teaching background.

ridleyrumpus, Jamvic and Catgirl1964 like this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My experience (and Mrs P's) was that the gifts came after you'd finished with the child and there was no longer possibility of bribery.
    I accepted the gifts in the spirit they were given as a sign that I'd done something right somewhere.

9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

TAs rarely if ever receive gifts and nearly all earn less than 20k! We do it for love of the job apparently.

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm.....and some schools are struggling to find money? Why have Ofsted allowed this and why didn't some hts,.some ceos and some school governors and some Consultants question these salaries ?.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

blazer likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

It says 'top teachers can earn 67,000 pounds' ? :eek: Where? How?

It doesn't mention that teachers have fewer rights than other workers eg no pay mobility, no Union in places, non paid Overtime to name a few

13. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

They're raking in the money while they can.

It's perfectly legal for the head of a MAT to pay themselves £150k+.

The very worst that can happen is that the government change the rules so they can't in future. They're not going to ask for any past monies back, just stop it happening in the future. So they're quite naturally paying the absolutely maximum they think they can get away with now while they have chance.

I hate them for it, but at the same time I have to concede that if I could decide on my own salary I'd possibly be doing the same thing.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Years before this payment by results and academy nonsenses were thought up, I worked for a head who told her Governing Body NOT to move her up the leadership scale (a move to which she was entitled) - not because she hadn't done a good job, but because it was when schools were last struggling for cash.

The GB discussed the situation, but insisted that she should be moved up.

However, the point I am making is, there were (are?) some heads out there who thought of the needs of the school before themselves. She wasn't a perfect head, by any means, but she did put the school AND her staff (whom she always supported to the hilt) first.

install and DexterDexter like this.
  15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I've worked for some damn good heads over the years, doubt they would be employed by academy chains though. They all liked to run their own school with minimum interference, with which I totally agreed with them. If you want to run a school, bloody well go and run one!

install likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

It seems sad some hts and ceos are too keen to put their own salaries up - and even take on extra well paid roles eg Exex hts, Ofsted - but then the govt allows it.

There are still some good hts round - but hts as a group seem to need to group more and agree a better way forward:cool:

A starting point - make sure all hts and ceos actually teach.