1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Discussion in 'Book club' started by pineapple sage, Oct 22, 2011.

1. This is a wonderful book by the author of The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It has many layers and once I finished I immediately wanted to go back and search the pictures for clues. 2 stories interweave back and forth- one in words, the other in pictures.
    Themes include the history of Natural history museums and Cabinets of Wonder, the Deaf community, New York past and present and the World Fair 1964 and much more.
    It is a thick book, as is Hugo Cabret, but many pages are pictures so it is a quick read for adults. It would be a lovely story to read with a child who is interested in science.

2. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

The first half of the book was intriguing and a real page turner but I thought the story telling trailed off a bit towards the end. It's a fabulous concept however. Not as good as Hugo, in my opinion. But I'll look out for his future titles.

3. I agree Hugo was much better. however I love all the details he puts in to the story about the museums.