1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering what to do next......

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pinkmarshmallow2, Dec 6, 2015.

1. pinkmarshmallow2

pinkmarshmallow2 New commenter

Hi all
    I hope I do this correctly,I have been viewing this forum for quite a while and finally plucked up the courage to share my story and hopefully begin to work through my situation.

It's a familiar tale, so it would seem, of a longstanding UPS3 teacher finding themselves facing capability. Earlier this year I was in the position of being faced with capability, it came completely out of the blue, no previous history of anything, good PM record etc etc. Without giving too much away a situation arose after a procedural query by the exam board. According to one supportive member of SLT, I had no case to answer, the HT saw it differently and stated that it was evidence of gross misconduct and I could be instantly dismissed. Obviously at this stage I was distraught, upset, anxious and very worried. I was pressurized by several other members of SLT to offer my resignation before 'anything more serious started' and was told in no uncertain terms that if I entered capability 'you will not succeed'. With that in my mind and the common worries of money,family and continuing career, I made an offer, at the recommendation of my union rep, which was rejected and ultimately I was advised to accept a counter offer by the HT which was less favourable.

I found another job - but I don't like it, I dread going to school,I don't like my classes and I miss dreadfully what I had. Every day, every lesson, every time something goes wrong it seems further conformation that I am no good anymore despite the fact that my teaching has never been called in to question. My family to a certain extent, feel I should get over it - I have another job, financially we are slightly less well off, but its nothing compared to being out of work. To make matters worse the new school is quite 'volatile', I am on a fixed term contract but it is obvious from decisions that have been taken that there is no future for me at the school as I will be surplus to requirements.

Just writing this makes me feel guilty, that I should just get on with things. I took no time off during any of this and whilst I'm pleased in a way that my current post will end and I won't feel I have to stay just because it is a job, I am also filled with anxiety and dread at being potentially unemployed again. I was very lucky to get the post I have, there was nothing else last year in this area and I am expensive if I want any sort of pay portability. I feel that I am responsible for losing my job and that if this means we have to cut back then I will be ultimately to blame.

I'm counting the days until the holidays and I am hoping the 2 weeks off might help me recharge for the next term. Sorry for the long post, and if you've made it reading this far then thank you.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sorry to read your sad story. It is a shame to see so many experienced teachers being treated this way. It is a positive that you are in a job. It puts you in a stronger position when you apply for other jobs.
    I suggest that you get applying and use your recent bad experiences to help you identify warning signs in schools that you apply to.

midnight_angel and FrankWolley like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good advice from bombaysapphire - just keep your head down and get through this with as good a reference as possible, and look elsewhere.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi pink

I am sorry to read about your difficult time. Try not to dwell too much on the past and keep looking in the rearview mirror. You can't change the past,only construct the future. If you stop thinking about the past, you might be able to enjoy your new classes.

Take the holidays to rest and others have said start applying. I am sure you will find something suitable.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I found this very very hard to read because something of the same sort happened to my daughter. A "Superhead" for that read "Supersh*t" went for my girl over something she hadn't actually done and it was to do with exam boards etc. (This HT had several HoY/D to get rid of after an amalgamation) Alas my girl was told (verbally) by some idiot of a union"rep" to resign as best course of action. Alas she had nothing from the union in writing.... I would recommend to ANYONE to get anything any union rep tells them to do in WRITING ... So my girl ran away but not before said HT reported her so called misdoing anyway. On the issue of any coursework irregularities..... they threw a book at my girl even though it was stated that she had in no way personally benefitted from any irregularity ( a member of her dept had lied to her in reality and my girl carried the can )
    You can imagine how aggrieved I have become over the years when I see and hear of the cheating that some SLT's positively encourage.... one SLT made one member of staff falsify all sorts of work for one....things that make even what the member of my girl's dept did look mild...I should also add that nothing was ever sent to the exam board that wasn't entirely children's work! So no actual "wrongdoing" took place !!!

Now...for the hard part..... you have to let it go. All that has in part ruined my girl's life. She cannot face teaching again.... she did a maternity cover where I live (far away from where she had been living) TBH I never ever wanted her to teach When she insisted doing an Eng degree I wailed at her "You'll end up teaching" and despite all her protestations and with carrots dangled by my mother..... she did a PGCE (funded my my darn mother!) She left the maternity cover post and has never been near a school again...nor wants to. She is still mortified that a google search does ultimately bring up her name re what happened to her. Probably the hardest thing was months after she had left that area a little parcel arrived for her..... had been sent on to her.... and it was a little book of poems and a letter from a past pupil. He said in his letter that he had had a poem published in this book and that it as her faith in him had seen him succeed etc etc and he wanted her to see it! It still makes me very emotional.

So... don't end up like my girl. Fight back! Look for a good new job... there must still be some out there...grit the teeth and get through the here and now! You will find something better...... if all is as it seems here ...there will be loads of jobs soon enough cos those who can are getting out !

6. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

I've got into my head that the next post means that I am two terms away from never having to think about my previous school ever again...two terms away from the torment,two terms for a good new reference...I can do it, so can you. Grit your teeth, book treats for the holidays and weekends and live for those, the job is the means to the ends. Keep your chin up!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@pinkmarshmallow2

I am very sorry indeed to hear of your sad situation. And I am not alone in feeling for you - your plight is very real, and the other posters on here are all going to be full of sympathy for you.

But sympathy alone, while good for you, is not going to get you out. Positive action is needed, and that's what I am going to talk about.

Si you need another job, And to get that, for Easter or more likely for September, you are going to need a supportive reference.

So that must be the first step: telling yourself It's only for another term or two, you must do everything possible to ensure that your contribution to the school is seen as positive, so that you get that reference.

Meanwhile, you start looking. And don't restrict yourself to state schools only, also consider indy ones

Moving from state to independent

An overview of the Independent sector

Independent Sector FAQs

Ensure that you are aware of every job opportunity that may arise

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Spend some time over the Christmas break getting yourself all geared up for applying:

Get ready for the application season!

And consider this:

Jobseeking for the older candidate

Then when the job for you comes up, come down to the Jobseekers Forum and ask me for advice on how to apply.

I hope that this practical advice will give you hope for a better future.

Best wishes

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. pinkmarshmallow2

pinkmarshmallow2 New commenter

Thank you everyone. Such a sad story HelenREMfan, why does this happen in schools? I know I need to let go, but until earlier this year, I loved my school, my colleagues, the students I taught, the challenge of the courses I delivered. It was so quick that I think it has left me in shock. I didn't get the 'systematic' bullying that I have read about on here - it just happened and was over in a matter of days. Problem resolved I was then allowed to stay in post for another 5-6 months before I actually left.

I have called TSN who were fab, they told me to see the GP, so I have been there too and all have been supportive. I'm considering other options away from the classroom and I will read through the helpful links you have posted @TheoGriff

2 terms - I can do that, and only 9 days until Christmas!!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

Two terms, you can do that!

Best wishes

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

2 terms and 8 days. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
    upload_2015-12-9_13-20-22.png