1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering wether to continue post-PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sidjames, May 16, 2011.

1. I'm about to finish the PGCE, and am going to be graded satisfactory while just about everyone else looks like being rated good or higher. I work really hard on lesson planning, but they are always just a bit boring and not that good. I haven't really clicked with my placement schools, but neither have they been a nightmare.

I had a good career before I started the PGCE, but now it feels like I'm just a bit rubbish at teaching. Am I going to get better, or when should I decide that perhaps this wasn't the right career choice for me.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Posts like this make me cross. So many students think they aren't good enough just because they don't get a good or outstanding. Where has this idea that satisfactory isn't good enough?!
    Satisfactory means just that! You are deemed good enough at teaching to pass the course and enjoy a long and happy career in teaching! Don't forget you are just finishing your training; you have plenty of time to work on improving your teaching.
    I don't think I even know what I got at the end of my training. I certainly wasn't aware of what others got, just that they'd passed. Certainly, no school is going to ask what you were graded as at the end of your PGCE.
    If you don't like teaching, leave. If you do, stay. And yes, you will get better with practice. It's a whole different ball game when you have your own class day in, day out ALL year!

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Good look when looking for jobs in another proffession. I truly hope you find one that doesn't challenge you. It'd be an awful shame if you had to work at something to improve yourself.

4. Teacher training is very short and to go from zero to outstanding in 36 weeks is a very tough call - very few students can do it.
    Training is like the driving test - QTS and the PGCE is like ceretifying you fit to 'drive' and having confidence that you won't kill anyone.
    Just like driving you cannot expect to be an advanced skills driver when you qualify and the vast majority of teachers take a few years to get to the advanced level.
    Just like drivers there are those who qualify and feel they are the best drivers ion the world and can do anything (the proverbial 'boy racer') and some who lack confidence but who are perfectlky competent - indeed given a choice most other drivers given a choice would prefer to be on the road with the steady eddie confident than the boy racer.
    Of course heads talk about only having/wanting outsatnding teachers, but there again remember that they are being squeezed to make sure that results improve year on year. Good heads know that their staff will have many shades - some fast-track outstanding teachers, some steady progressive ones, some that need help and support. They have the job to manage the whole team and in teams there are places for all sorts of teachers.
    James