1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering if you can return part time after maternity leave? Here's the letter!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by TheoGriff, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On Maternity Leave and wondering if you can return part time? Here's how to write the letter to your Head.
    There is a formal procedure involved in asking to change your
    part-time hours, and I suggest that you do it, very formally.
    Here
    is my standard-answer-that-I-prepared-earlier on requesting p-t as a
    parent:

You have a legal right to make an application
    (but only once per year), and have it seriously considered, but <u>not </u>a
    right to have it granted.

If the request is turned down, it
    must be for an <u>appropriate business reason</u>, and they must tell
    you what the reason is so that you can appeal against it.

First
    stage is to put your request in writing to the Head; the Head then has 28 days to
    hold a meeting with you to discuss it.

NB You
    can see from the letter that the onus is on YOU to show how it can be
    managed, YOU have to identify any possible drawbacks for the school and
    say how they can be overcome. If you just say there are no problems,
    and then they identify some and turn your request down, you haven't had a
    chance to show a possible solution. So make sure you think it through
    carefully, both the problems (normally to do with communication between
    the two halves) and how to solve them.

Here's
    the sort of letter you should write. Nice and formal - shows you want a
    formal - and legal - reply!

Dear xxx

I would
    like to apply to work a pattern that is different to my normal working
    pattern under my right provided in law. I confirm that I meet each of
    the eligibility criteria as follows:

* I have responsibility for
    the upbringing of either a child under 16 or a disabled child under 18.

I am the mother, father, adopter, guardian or foster mother or
    father of the child, or married to or the partner of the mother, father,
    adopter, guardian or foster mother or father of the child

* I am
    making this request to help me care for the child

* I am making
    this request no later than two weeks before the child's sixteenth
    birthday or 18th birthday where disabled

* I have worked
    continuously as an employee of the company for the last 26 weeks

I have not made a request to work flexibly under this right during the
    past 12 months

The proposed new working pattern that I am
    applying for is &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;

This will affect you as an employer in
    that &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;. This impact on you as an employer can be lessened
    or removed by &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;

I understand that according
    to the legislation, you will hold a meeting with me to discuss this
    within 28 days.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. Just what I need right now! I wonder if you could also answer this question for me too... (It was actually my Head who asked me when we chatted informally about going part time yesterday) Does your actual contract change? In other words, would I permanently go from being f/t to p/t? I only intend to be p/t while I have young children at home so would the f/t position still be 'mine' to step back into when I'm ready? My HT hasn't done this before and so is unaware of how it goes - me too! Thanks.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you go to PT and have to apply for FT when there is a vacancy.
    Sorry!

6. Hmmmm, no 'keeping it warm' then! Was hoping school could just tell the other teacher they'll have to employ that I'm ready to come back and they have to promptly *** off! ;) There's never vacancies at my school so I'd be waiting a long time! If the other person just left, would I still have to 'apply' - would I be interviewed?! That would be weird!

7. That word was b u g g e r ...

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As you can be pt for family reasons from returning to maternity leave until your child reaches 16 (18 of disabled), then it would be a bit much to keep the ft job open to you for that long!
    Any p-timer who applies for a ft post in a school may be interviewed, or may not, as the school decides.
    Best of luck anyway.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm afraid it does not work like this. Your part-time job will be a totally different contract.In fact,if the school roll was to decrease or cuts were needed,it could well be that the other bit of your original job disapears altogether. Or it would suits the timetable to have two part-timers rather than a full-timer. Think carefully about part-time work as you could also end up working bits of 5 days for part-time pay.

10. Thanks catmother. I am asking for 3 consecutive days as I'm primary and believe this is in the interest of both the teachers and the children :) No chance of the roll decreasing as we're a very over subscribed school in a very big 'family' area. Part time is best for me for now. If I can't go back to being full time there then I may just try applying elsewhere. x

11. I am looking into this at the moment and have had an informal chat with my head. Is there a time limit by which I have to send the letter (how many weeks before I propose to return to work)?

12. There is imateacher but I'm not sure how long... I'm doing it well in advance! Want my letter in before Easter to go p/t from Sept!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm not sure if there is a time limit, but you must remember that this is a request for pt, not a right.
    So the longer you give them, the more likely it is that they will be able to arrange it.
    A short-notice request is almost certainly going to be rejected.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A popular query.
    Good luck to all you new Mums!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are very lucky in this suggestion!
    Most Heads would not consider it as it makes things very difficult for them, and for the person appointed to do the rest of the job.
    Best wishes

17. Theo, I am pregnant and want to request a switch to part-time once the baby is born - should I request it now before I go on leave, or wait until after the birth? Am I even allowed to request it before I am actually a parent? I already know it is definitely what I want. Thanks.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

After the birth is best.
    Great news about the baby - enjoy all the preparations for becoming a family!

19. bump

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter