1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering how everyone else does Big Write

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunpainter, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hi all... difference of opinion in our staffroom as to how to manage Big Write sessions for upper ks2. All agreed that we open with some fun Big Write games. But I would rather give them longer to write without interruption. Wheras others advocate stopping them every 10 mins or so to reinforce SC.

I think that it would drive me mental to stop in mid flow and go back to check whether I have used connectives... And I also want to get them used to longer periods of concentration.

What does everyone else do?

SP

2. Hi all... difference of opinion in our staffroom as to how to manage Big Write sessions for upper ks2. All agreed that we open with some fun Big Write games. But I would rather give them longer to write without interruption. Wheras others advocate stopping them every 10 mins or so to reinforce SC.

I think that it would drive me mental to stop in mid flow and go back to check whether I have used connectives... And I also want to get them used to longer periods of concentration.

What does everyone else do?

SP

3. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I agree with you entirely

4. Theres something for IWB from Andrell or fiery ideas think might be free a sort of fire but it also scrolls around WOW words etc maybe this could be a compromise as it is there to prompt those staring into space.
    Also having success criteria on table next to child maybe for those you spot not doing well go and quietly point to sc or speak to child leaving those in flow happily working.

Suppose other thing is try both see which works best, talk to kids re what is best for them

5. Thanks folks.
    I did a search of other posts about this too. I do the whole SC silent thing already Bluerose. Trouble is, the kids in out school have had BW done to death. Some of the writing is so formulaic. The brighter ones write in a sort of VCOP cut and paste style. The weaker ones hate writing, because it involves writing!