1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wonderful English folk songs dying through lack of the will to keep them alive

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 11, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

To me, this is a tragedy. I think of wonderful melodies that are now only kept alive by a few folkies - High Germany and The Cutty Wren spring to mind, along with many others.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I said melodies. The old ballads tell wonderful stories too.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Shades of the good old BBC "Singing Together" radio broadcasts!

[​IMG]

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always liked those songs about the squire's lady running off with the gypsy Davey-O. But they went under the "lessons must be relevant to today" movement:

Oh where are you going? said Milder to Moulder
    Oh we may not tell you! said Festel to Fose
    We're off to the wood! said John the Red Nose​

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I remember a couple of snatches from such songs at Primary school:

"With your musket, pipe and drum"

"Oh, no, John, no, John, no-oh, John, nooo!" (She could not marry him, for she had no shoes to put on)

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

On our Desert Island Discs party (See Spotify- Birthday on a Desert Island) we had Will you go lassie go, The road to Dundee, and Linden Lea so we're trying @nizebaby. Eight people, 24 tracks, 3 of them folk songs, 3 of them Rod Stewart numbers - great!

jellycowfish, nomad and nizebaby like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

At primary school, a loudspeaker would be wheeled into the classroom, and we listened to a BBC Schools singing and music programme, which, I think, was called something like 'Time and Tune'. Also wheeled in was the 'music trolley', and we were handed out glockenspiels, wood blocks, and the like.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just reminded me of a seminal moment affecting my opinions of teachers. Back when I was 10 we had a music teacher who would play a song on a record player which we would sing along with. Then he would lift the needle and keep us singing. He would then put the needle back down and berate us for not being in time with the song!!

A-hole! Did he think that we did not understand how record players worked!? I can remember being so disappointed in him. Did all teachers cheat like that?

agathamorse likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Cambridge Folk Festival was cancelled (like everything else) - it's normally one of the highlights of my year.

agathamorse, Laphroig, TCSC47 and 2 others like this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Possibly not the folk music the OP was thinking of, but Mrs TCSC and myself are disappointed at having to miss Cropredy this year. Park up the caravan on site and enjoy the most eclectic range of music over three days with one of the best feel good atmospheres.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Maybe this is what has in part happened to the folk songs and music of the people that we used to sing and play when we were young. Everything is so much more intense with high energy supported by the use of technology.

Like the hot curries and chillies that our taste buds are used to nowadays.

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You couldn't get away with a lot of the songs now. Any reference to travellers as gypsies, or any connection to theft would be banned. And how would The Drummer And The Cook weigh in with Disability Sensibility?
    "There was a little drummer and he loved a one-eyed cook.
    Oh he loved her, oh he loved her, though she had a c.ock-eyed look.
    With one eye on the pot and t'other up the chimney
    With a bow wow wow, fal lal a dow a diddy, bow wow wow."
    They don't write 'em like that anymore.

Dunteachin and agathamorse like this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

No, it was he who could not marry her because he had no clothes to put on. So off she went to her grandfather's chest and brought him a [ ] of the very very best. When he had all the the clothes, he said he still couldn't marry her because he was already married, and jiggered off.

16. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

Back in the mists of the last millennium I saw Joan Baez, Taj Mahal and Chas n' Dave there.

agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

I remember the second one, dunty.
    "On yonder hill there stands a creature
    Who she is I do not know
    I'll go court her for her beauty
    She must answer yes or no.
    Oh no John no John no John no John no!"

Dashing away with the smoothing iron, she stole my heart away.

When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire
    Full well I served my master for more than seven year
    Till I took up to poaching, as you shall quickly hear,
    O tis my delight on a shining night in the season of the year!

And who could forget
    Twankydillow, twankydillow, twanky dilowdillowdillowdillow
    A roaring pair of bagpipes made of the green willow.

Paul Ryan got rulered for singing "Twankydilly" so it would rhyme with "green w illy".
    I remember all these songs but have no opportunity to sing them!

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One of my primary teachers insisted on us singing American folk songs, including The Big Rock Candy Mountain. We Weren't allowed to sing "burly bum came a'hiking" though. He was a burly tramp as far as the elderly Miss Williams was concerned. We still sang "bum" quietly with smirks. Good job she never saw the original final verse - apparently it had been cleaned up considerably for school use.

Go Tell Aunt Rhody was another one, about a dead goose and its orphaned offspring. Miserable dirge.

Making Music was a 1960s BBC schools programme which we had to sing along to. I imagine plenty of their songs were traditional.

Dunteachin, agathamorse and nomad like this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Singing Together, Making Music and Time And Tune. Loved them all.
    Edit - theme tune for Making Music - G A G E.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As a child I remember singing some folk songs which would not be considered PC today - Boney was a Warrior and Taffy was a Welshman being just two of them.

Singing Together was still going when I started teaching in the early mid 1970s and I do recall a term's programmes being devoted to the songs of Stephen Foster. Yup, I know these are not English songs, but they included several "minstrel" songs now best avoided.

Dunteachin and magic surf bus like this.